Alk with calcium reactor

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I know this is a common question but with my given scenario I'm wondering how to accomplish raising alk.

My Alk is on the decline for whatever reason. I've lowered the pH in the reactor it's around 6.1 now. I'm using the kamoer pump (pull) method through a reef octo 100 series. The pump is set at 16ml which it always was for like a year with steady alk at 8.3-8.4. I don't want to dose alk if I don't have to, but with lowering the pH inside the reactor, it's not increasing alk.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

OP
OP
Snowxcross

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, what's a good number for the kamoer? Also by increasing flow in the reactor, what do you mean by that? I only have a small dial to let more air in but it gets noisy, is that what you mean?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, what's a good number for the kamoer? Also by increasing flow in the reactor, what do you mean by that? I only have a small dial to let more air in but it gets noisy, is that what you mean?

Just increase the amount that your pump is dosing into the tank. Since you have already lowered the pH in the reactor I would only increase the amount dosed :)

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell you how much more to increase it to. If you are at 16ml/min and you turn it up to 20ml/min that’s a theoretical 25% increase in the amount being added to the tank, so I would make small adjustments wait 24 hours and see what happens with your alk before making any other adjustments

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a drop in alkalinity when increasing the flow through without touching the co2 also. Yes it passes more effluent through, but it also raises the ph due to less contact time which weakens the effluent.

OP
OP
Snowxcross

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a drop in alkalinity when increasing the flow through without touching the co2 also. Yes it passes more effluent through, but it also raises the ph due to less contact time which weakens the effluent.
Right, so what do you think? Should i increase the effluent from 16ml to 20ml? I've seen other posts that say to dose it to where you want it, then adjust - but i thought you could raise alk via the reactor better. Thanks!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, so what do you think? Should i increase the effluent from 16ml to 20ml? I've seen other posts that say to dose it to where you want it, then adjust - but i thought you could raise alk via the reactor better. Thanks!

I am a calcium reactor sinner so take my advice with a grain of salt. You’re supposed to test your effluent and keep its strength the same all the time. And if you need more, you increase both gas and effluent until you have the same strength...just faster.

When I notice alk dripping I increase the gas a touch to just lower the ph of the reactor. Once I hit about 6.5, if it’s still dropping. Then I increase the effluent as well as the gas, If I overshoot it, I turn the gas off for a day and increase the effluent a touch. Very unscientific. But I rarely mess with it. So long as my alk is between 6-8 I don’t touch it. I don’t chase the alk, I just try to keep it in that range

I’d really love to get one of the full saturation style automatic units where it’s just a one touch adjustment point

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back