Kalk Doser drives PH too high, but Alk is low.

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previously had a Red Sea XL300 (65gal display + 15gal sump) that was fairly heavily stocked and always had a problem with keeping pH above 7.9 or so. With a combination of a Kalk reactor and external air for the skimmer, I managed to fix that. It would solidly sit at about 8.3. But that's old news.

I just upgraded to a Waterbox 230 LX (160gal display + 60gal sump) and with the Kalk reactor connected, I now have a steady pH of 8.5-8.6 with pretty light kalk dosing. However, the alk is flat at about 7.7-8 at best, far from the 10-11 I usually ran at previously.

If I crank up the kalk, I can likely raise the alk, but it'll blow the pH past 9 easily (went to 9.5 briefly the other day by accident).

Am I doing something obviously wrong?

I'm having to keep kalk low, and dose 180ml of All-for-Reef a day to keep the alk flat near 8 without spiking the pH. That's getting expensive.

Another option is buy a ton more fish I guess?

OP
OP
static416

static416

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe my answer is here

You are right, they typically don’t. You cannot get more than about 2 dKH per day from kalkwasser with typical evaporation rates.

Really not excited to buy a calcium reactor on top of the kalk reactor.

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kalk is useful for keeping up with demand (to a point), but not for raising levels for the reasons you are encountering. Correct levels with two part or other additives, then maintain with kalk, and you’ll likely have better luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back