Alk

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also posted this in reef chemistry not knowing where to post it .

I have been experiencing zero consumption for months even given the amount of sps

maintained a stable 7.5 for months .
Just checked alk as I noticed new coralline spots on the back glass

alk dropped to 6.9 sadly the last time I tested was last Thursday

I have 2 part to dose when it was ready , but how much can I safely raise without any issues ?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't raise it. Just pick a number and maintain it. If your number is higher than your current tank level, then just take a few days to get it back up.

In general, I am not a believer in all of the people who blame alk swings for things. A few alk raises or lowering every once in a while has been fine for me. I would not want it swinging big-time every day. ...so if you want to raise it up by 1 dKh once, then that probably is OK, but would not hurt to spread it out over a few days too.

OP
OP
Rmckoy

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't raise it. Just pick a number and maintain it. If your number is higher than your current tank level, then just take a few days to get it back up.

In general, I am not a believer in all of the people who blame alk swings for things. A few alk raises or lowering every once in a while has been fine for me. I would not want it swinging big-time every day. ...so if you want to raise it up by 1 dKh once, then that probably is OK, but would not hurt to spread it out over a few days too.
I’m thinking I would like to get back to the 7-7.5 where I was .
which isn’t too far off right now .

I can’t figure it out for the life of m .
why I had zero consumption for months with the amount of sps

everything is growing , encrusting

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Count me on the other side who think that sudden alk swings can be very detrimental(and related ph swings) I do not raise it more than about .2 per day personally. Need to figure out daily consumption and dose just enough to keep it steady. Then if you feel the need to raise it then do just a slightly bigger dose daily until where it is stable. Then monitor occassionally as consumption will(hopefully) increase as growth occurs.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend raising by 0.5dkh a day max. Once you get to where you want, say 7.5, let it run for 4-7 days and then test again. Get the difference and divide by however many days and then slowly raise back to where you want and you can now dose 2-part daily to keep a stable alk and calc.

Back