Alkalinity and Carbon Dosing

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was reading about it and apparently with low nutrients and high alk the skeleton of the coral will grow faster on the ends than the tissue can keep up with. The high alk encourages skeletal growth but the lower nutrients limit tissue growth.. Which causes the tissue to be too thin for the amount of light it is receiving, which leads to the burnt tips that I often hear about.

Someone please correct me if I've misunderstood why low nutrients with higher alk is an issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needing to understand why it is recommended when carbon dosing you have your alkalinity between 7 - 8?

That is not an appropriate/needed recommendation.

It stems, misleadingly, from the correct idea that if nutrients are low and alkalinity is high, that certain SPS corals can get "burnt tips", which may be due to the coral skeleton growing faster than the tissue can keep up.

With all nutrient reduction methods, if one wants to maintain high alk, then one needs to be sure that an adequately large source of N and P is available.

It is certainly not the case that organic carbon dosing necessarily leads to low nutrients. Same as other methods: used too much, in some cases, nutrients may get too low. used appropriately for the given aquarium system, there is no concern.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It stems, misleadingly, from the correct idea that if nutrients are low and alkalinity is high, that certain SPS corals can get "burnt tips", which may be due to the coral skeleton growing faster than the tissue can keep up.

With all nutrient reduction methods, if one wants to maintain high alk, then one needs to be sure that an adequately large source of N and P is available.

It is certainly not the case that organic carbon dosing necessarily leads to low nutrients. Same as other methods: used too much, in some cases, nutrients may get too low. used appropriately for the given aquarium system, there is no concern.

Great info! Thanks, Randy.

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Randy. Appreciate your input.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With this in mind, is there a way to determine how much carbon dosing is needed other than incessant testing with incredibly inaccurate hobby level test kits (namely nitrate)?

For example: Add "x" amount of this solution for "x" amount of time to decrease nitrate/phosphate by "x" amount.

Do the bacteria that are produced from carbon dosing remove nutrients at a set rate once a set dosage has been established?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this in mind, is there a way to determine how much carbon dosing is needed other than incessant testing with incredibly inaccurate hobby level test kits (namely nitrate)?

For example: Add "x" amount of this solution for "x" amount of time to decrease nitrate/phosphate by "x" amount.

Do the bacteria that are produced from carbon dosing remove nutrients at a set rate once a set dosage has been established?

Not really. Trial and error is the only way.

There are many different processes that impact N, P and organics. Some are linked to one another (e.g., N and P going into normal tissue growth) and some are not (nitrate and organics being consumed by denitrification that does not deplete phosphate)..

OP
OP
NDIrish

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you determine when to stop increasing the amount of vinegar and to maintain a certain level?
I'm dosing 32 ml a day and my N is between 0 and 25 (by colorchart it's not as dark as 25 but it is not clear), my P is .06.
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you determine when to stop increasing the amount of vinegar and to maintain a certain level?
I'm dosing 32 ml a day and my N is between 0 and 25 (by colorchart it's not as dark as 25 but it is not clear), my P is .06.
Thanks

Trial and error.

But IMO, a kit that cannot readily distinguish 25 ppm from 1 ppm is not adequate to control dosing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back