Alkalinity buffer suggestion

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to add a buffer to maintain the proper alkalinity in my tank. I was wondering if there is a product that everyone seems to agree is the best one out there?
I am currently using Brightwell Aquatics Alkaline 8.3.
Without using a buffer my number is 6.5, with the buffer I am able to keep it stable at 9.0. I'm only asking because the bottle is almost empty and thought I'd reach out before reordering.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to add a buffer to maintain the proper alkalinity in my tank. I was wondering if there is a product that everyone seems to agree is the best one out there?
I am currently using Brightwell Aquatics Alkaline 8.3.
Without using a buffer my number is 6.5, with the buffer I am able to keep it stable at 9.0. I'm only asking because the bottle is almost empty and thought I'd reach out before reordering.
Bicarbonate of soda would be the cheapest way. However, if you need calcium (you should), you could look at Kalkwasser.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a dosing calculator on the website. Scroll down at the end click on education then Calculator. This will keep you in the money

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy BRS Pharma if I could! I am in the UK so it is not practical- and with any freight costs and import fees it would be more expensive than what I can get over here..

Reef Zlements is one of the more popular- and cheaper options in the UK. I am unsure if they have branched out over the Atlantic yet.

A simple approach which only requires you to dose one thing to maintain all your main parameters (ideally!) is the Tropic Marin All For Reef. I use this in three nano tanks with great success- and it is so, so easy!

I am using Triton Core7 myself- it relies heavily on a refugium though.

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy BRS Pharma if I could! I am in the UK so it is not practical- and with any freight costs and import fees it would be more expensive than what I can get over here..

Reef Zlements is one of the more popular- and cheaper options in the UK. I am unsure if they have branched out over the Atlantic yet.

A simple approach which only requires you to dose one thing to maintain all your main parameters (ideally!) is the Tropic Marin All For Reef. I use this in three nano tanks with great success- and it is so, so easy!

I am using Triton Core7 myself- it relies heavily on a refugium though.
I've heard about the All For Reef, I was not aware that it would maintain all parameters.
Thank you!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard about the All For Reef, I was not aware that it would maintain all parameters.
Thank you!
Have a look at this video :) It might be a way to go. There's no right or wrong way really, you just need to find what's better for you!

I like the All For Reef. It is simple, and there's no arguing the results you can achieve with this.

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look at this video :) It might be a way to go. There's no right or wrong way really, you just need to find what's better for you!

I like the All For Reef. It is simple, and there's no arguing the results you can achieve with this.
Very informative, sounds like a no brainer, I have a small 25 gallon Lagoon so this route may be the best option, thank you. I'm never disappointed when I ask a question on reef2reef!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
I run all for reef, great stuff, but every tank is different and takes up cal alk and mag differently. So I dose AFR to the to my lowest consumption then use a two part to bring the other two up.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run all for reef, great stuff, but every tank is different and takes up cal alk and mag differently. So I dose AFR to the to my lowest consumption then use a two part to bring the other two up.
Yeah, I have had to make small adjustments as well. I run AFR in three nano tanks; two of them uptake fairly even where as the one I have with anemones only is a bit of a joker.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFR is not a no brainer, since it has pros and cons like all products, but it is one of many fine ways to go. Its drawbacks are expense, no pH raising effect, and fixed alk and calcium dosing that may require other products to make corrections.

Other cons include it may not be adding enough trace elements for all systems, and the slk us not immediately detectable when added.

If you are just needing an occasional alk boost, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a fine way to go.

RRA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS kits are the easiest/cheapest option in my eyes. The calculator is super accurate as long as you have the time to dose once a day it’s an option that’s been proven by Atleast 100k plus reefers over ten plus years by now.

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFR is not a no brainer, since it has pros and cons like all products, but it is one of many fine ways to go. Its drawbacks are expense, no pH raising effect, and fixed alk and calcium dosing that may require other products to make corrections.

Other cons include it may not be adding enough trace elements for all systems, and the slk us not immediately detectable when added.

If you are just needing an occasional alk boost, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a fine way to go.
I have to dose my RO water I use for daily top offs and my salt mix for weekly water changes, so not really the occasional boost. I use Tropic Marin as my salt and that so far has kept all my other parameters stable. My only outlier is the Alk. As I have been introducing more corals over time I had been looking into AFR as a supplemental to keep the corals happy. If this product can do that and keep my Alk stable then that would be a win win for me, just one product to add.
As I mentioned I currently dose my top off water and salt mixed water, would I have to use AFR in the same way, or stop dosing these and just dose the tank?

OP
OP
Liam's tank

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, are you saying that using AFR may cause complications with other trace elements?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, are you saying that using AFR may cause complications with other trace elements?

All I’m saying is that one cannot assume it provides all that is needed, especially when alk demand is low.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS kits are the easiest/cheapest option in my eyes. The calculator is super accurate as long as you have the time to dose once a day it’s an option that’s been proven by Atleast 100k plus reefers over ten plus years by now.

BRS uses my diy recipe. I’m glad you like it.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back