Alkalinity consumption

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are using the Hanna alk checker? Just asking because that color description doesn't sound right for a normal alkalinity titration.

In any cause, I'm not sure why its much higher now unless something happened to slow consumption in the tank.
Sorry for the delayed reply, went away for a few days... Yes, using the Hanna Alk checker.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i let my kalk stirrer and versa creep my alk up to 9.5 so I shut it down 5 days ago and calculated my consumption at .1 a day because tonght it was 9.0, seems pretty low??

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a similar experience with AFR - several days of dosing with minimal alk movement followed by a sudden spike. Is this just how AFR works? They don’t recommend it’s use for increasing alk, only maintaining alk and perhaps this is why. I read in an Alkatronic thread something similar, with folks saying they do not recommend using AFR with the Alkatronic for this reason.

Anyway, curious about the outcome of this discussion!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a similar experience with AFR - several days of dosing with minimal alk movement followed by a sudden spike. Is this just how AFR works? They don’t recommend it’s use for increasing alk, only maintaining alk and perhaps this is why. I read in an Alkatronic thread something similar, with folks saying they do not recommend using AFR with the Alkatronic for this reason.

Anyway, curious about the outcome of this discussion!

AFR provides alk in a form that is mostly not detected by an alk test until bacteria metabolize it, and it takes special bacteria to do it. So when you first start AFR, it can take a while to build up bacterial populations that can transform it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back