Alkalinity fluctuations throughout the day on a coral reef

Alazo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odd as it may be I can't seem to find this information. Does anyone have an article or am I searching the wrong words.
All I come up is answers for an aquarium / reef.

I'm interested to know the fluctuations in a coral reef.

Thanks for any help,
Albert

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not think it did.
Why should it fluctuate?
In our tanks alk is used by stuff, lowering the alk until we dose to replenish.
In the ocean, the water volume sinks any alk usage.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no studies or science to reference but my first thought is that a reef in the ocean likely never sees the same water twice, so my guess is no daily fluctuation. Maybe seasonal?

OP
OP
A

Alazo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. ThatmanMikeson, sure, I usually only test for alkalinity about once a week. Seeing that stable alkalinity seems to be one of the keys in getting good color I am thinking of testing more often.

On another note I read a small write up that dumping alkalinity on the great barrier reef would buy some time in acidification of that area.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. ThatmanMikeson, sure, I usually only test for alkalinity about once a week. Seeing that stable alkalinity seems to be one of the keys in getting good color I am thinking of testing more often.

On another note I read a small write up that dumping alkalinity on the great barrier reef would buy some time in acidification of that area.
testing twice a day for a little bit is a good way to see how much your alkalinity is actually swinging, test just before the lights come on and just before the lights go off and see what the difference is, test that way for a week, 14 tests. this will give the true alkalinity fluctuations of your tank for that week.

if you have a low demand tank it's likely you might not see a significant change, and may be unnecessary depending on the type of tank and coral, but its a fun way to document and see the alkalinity pattern of your tank, you can even put the information into graph form.

I hope they don't resort to dumping some kind of bicarbonate or something else into TGBR I'm no scientist but I think that would be very detrimental to the target sight, or the immediate area, sounds like man should just leave stuff alone. I do like the idea of people growing coral in harsh conditions to try and make them "super corals" that can better withstand these changing environments, we've done it with food im sure coral can be manipulated to grow in current conditions, just the existing coral that's conditioned to the past millions of years can do it any more...either way it's bad signs everywhere we look in nature :( :(

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 57 43.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back