Alkalinity high with carbon dosing

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing vinegar for about a year slowly working up to 160ml to control nutrients. It caused a significant drop in ph. I read Randy would saturate the vinegar with kalwasser to keep the ph up. It worked to keep ph in optimal range. I only have a few softies in the tank so I didn’t pay much attention to alk. I’ve decide to start adding some lps so I tested the alk and it was 14. Things I have read I didn’t think the saturated vinegar would have that dramatic effect on Alk.

My tank is 90gal with 20gal sump. All other parameters are fine. What would be my best course of action and how should I move forward with dosing the the vinegar/kalwasser mix to maintain ph.

Thanks

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing vinegar for about a year slowly working up to 160ml to control nutrients. It caused a significant drop in ph. I read Randy would saturate the vinegar with kalwasser to keep the ph up. It worked to keep ph in optimal range. I only have a few softies in the tank so I didn’t pay much attention to alk. I’ve decide to start adding some lps so I tested the alk and it was 14. Things I have read I didn’t think the saturated vinegar would have that dramatic effect on Alk.

My tank is 90gal with 20gal sump. All other parameters are fine. What would be my best course of action and how should I move forward with dosing the the vinegar/kalwasser mix to maintain ph.

Thanks
I think you'll have to back off on the calcium hydroxide. Increasing pH another way, perhaps. What pH are you getting without the hydroxide?

OP
OP
E

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you otherwise add any alkalinity?
I don’t add anything but the Kalk and vinegar solution. I mix several teaspoons in a gallon of vinegar and wait for it to settle then poor off the clear liquid into my dosing container.

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
How do the corals look? How's your nitrates and phosphates?

OP
OP
E

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll have to back off on the calcium hydroxide. Increasing pH another way, perhaps. What pH are you getting without the hydroxide?
It was alway below 8. With kalk added it stays around 8.2.
How do the corals look? How's your nitrates and phosphates?
I just have a few hardy softies. I really wouldn’t have noticed a difference in anything if I hadn’t tested. My nitrates are around 10 and phosphates .04.

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was alway below 8. With kalk added it stays around 8.2.

I just have a few hardy softies. I really wouldn’t have noticed a difference in anything if I hadn’t tested.
If everything looks good, don't worry about changing it quickly. Try to hit the target alk and slowly work your way to that with water changes. Optimal pH isn't too important in a softy tank. pH helps more with corals with calcium based skeletons, from what I've read.

OP
OP
E

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything looks good, don't worry about changing it quickly. Try to hit the target alk and slowly work your way to that with water changes. Optimal pH isn't too important in a softy tank. pH helps more with corals with calcium based skeletons, from what I've read.
I’m trying to get the parameters i Order so I can start adding a little more advanced corals

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to get the parameters i Order so I can start adding a little more advanced corals
I'd do 20% water change every 3 days until it is where it matches your salt. You have a refugium at all? That helps my pH a ton.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree. Reduce or stop the kalk in the vinegar.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back