Alkalinity inexplicably up at 13, please help.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a thread going in one of the general forums but moving here for some updates since it turned into a chemistry discussion.

TLDR of that thread: My Alk was up at 13.7. This seems too high, and my corals are angry. I don't dose anything that anyone thought would raise would raise Alk. Other parameters seem okay. No one thought my alk could raise to be that high without dosing or the test kit being off. Tested my jugged saltwater and Alk was around 10.5. Salinity was good.

Update: Went to the LFS today. I was mistaken on salt brand, they use the Red Sea Coral Salt Pro. Also, got a new Salifert Alk test kit. After the a 35% water change yesterday, the Alk lowered to 12.95. Also switch over my PH test kit to Salifert from API, and it is showing my PH at 8.15.

Full Parameters:

PH: 8.15
Nitrate: 15-20
Phosphate: .03
Alk: 12.95
Cal: 460
Mag: 1350
Salinity: 1.025

So my question, what caused my Alk to get so high, and what do I do about it?

Thank you for the help.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Coral Pro salt has a very high alkalinity to begin with. From what I remember it was somewhere around 11dKH out of the bucket. So if the salt mix was a little more concentrated at your LFS and you were dosing alkalinity without testing at regular intervals, it could easily get out of hand.

I use a Trident to monitor my alkalinity every 6 hours, and even then I've seen a few decimal increase of alkalinity in a single day - so if your dosing isn't spot on it can easily slip from your ideal zone.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Coral Pro salt has a very high alkalinity to begin with. From what I remember it was somewhere around 11dKH out of the bucket. So if the salt mix was a little more concentrated at your LFS and you were dosing alkalinity without testing at regular intervals, it could easily get out of hand.

I use a Trident to monitor my alkalinity every 6 hours, and even then I've seen a few decimal increase of alkalinity in a single day - so if your dosing isn't spot on it can easily slip from your ideal zone.

Yeah, I took a pic of the bag and it says 11.5 at 34ppm. I just have a small tank with softies, I don't dose anything to increase Alk, so its why I'm not sure why my Alk got high.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I took a pic of the bag and it says 11.5 at 34ppm. I just have a small tank with softies, I don't dose anything to increase Alk, so its why I'm not sure why my Alk got high.
Sorry, I misread re: alkalinity dosing. The only thing I can think of is that either the batch of saltwater from your LFS was mixed higher or that you topped up with saltwater instead of RO. If you're not dosing or supplementing alkalinity, those are really the only possibilities.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I misread re: alkalinity dosing. The only thing I can think of is that either the batch of saltwater from your LFS was mixed higher or that you topped up with saltwater instead of RO. If you're not dosing or supplementing alkalinity, those are really the only possibilities.

Def wasn't topping off with Saltwater. Maybe the LFS mixed a hot batch that got me? Anyway, any thoughts on how to get it down without big water changes?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def wasn't topping off with Saltwater. Maybe the LFS mixed a hot batch that got me? Anyway, any thoughts on how to get it down without big water changes?
You would just have to let it fall naturally if you dont want to do water changes.

TLDR, did you get an appropriate salt?

I used to use RSCP when i was new but switched to blue bucket and never looked back

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some saltwater out and add a different brand of saltwater with lower alkalinity. Something like blue bucket.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would just have to let it fall naturally if you dont want to do water changes.

TLDR, did you get an appropriate salt?

I used to use RSCP when i was new but switched to blue bucket and never looked back
LFS uses Red Sea Coral Salt Pro. I buy my water from them.

Edit: I dont really have anyhting that consumes ALK, jsut coraline algae and not that much of it.

Take some saltwater out and add a different brand of saltwater with lower alkalinity. Something like blue bucket.
My salinity is good though at 1.025. Tank is only 14G. It changes pretty easily from a cup or two hear or there.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is good though at 1.025. Tank is only 14G. It changes pretty easily from a cup or two hear or there.
I meant remove and replace some saltwater with a similar salinity but less alkalinity, ie: Red Sea salt (blue) vs. Red Sea Coral Pro (black). It doesn't have to be Red Sea, but it would entail getting a small container and RO to mix your own.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant remove and replace some saltwater with a similar salinity but less alkalinity, ie: Red Sea salt (blue) vs. Red Sea Coral Pro (black).
This would still require him to perform water changes unfortunately.

But i agree its the best option.

Just do it very slowly on a 14g tank

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant remove and replace some saltwater with a similar salinity but less alkalinity, ie: Red Sea salt (blue) vs. Red Sea Coral Pro (black).

I see what you mean. I'd have to start mixing my own, which I'm not currently set up for. Was hoping there was an additive I could try to pull it down a little.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would still require him to perform water changes unfortunately.

But i agree its the best option.

Just do it very slowly on a 14g tank
Other than just letting it decline naturally, I don't know of any product to reduce alkalinity other than some degree of water changes with a salt that has lower alkalinity. And on a small 14-gallon tank it would probably take more than a few weeks to drop below 11.5dKH again.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a thread going in one of the general forums but moving here for some updates since it turned into a chemistry discussion.

TLDR of that thread: My Alk was up at 13.7. This seems too high, and my corals are angry. I don't dose anything that anyone thought would raise would raise Alk. Other parameters seem okay. No one thought my alk could raise to be that high without dosing or the test kit being off. Tested my jugged saltwater and Alk was around 10.5. Salinity was good.

Update: Went to the LFS today. I was mistaken on salt brand, they use the Red Sea Coral Salt Pro. Also, got a new Salifert Alk test kit. After the a 35% water change yesterday, the Alk lowered to 12.95. Also switch over my PH test kit to Salifert from API, and it is showing my PH at 8.15.

Full Parameters:

PH: 8.15
Nitrate: 15-20
Phosphate: .03
Alk: 12.95
Cal: 460
Mag: 1350
Salinity: 1.025

So my question, what caused my Alk to get so high, and what do I do about it?

Thank you for the help.
Coral Pro is high to start with.

I'd just let it drop naturally, rather than trying to force it down too fast which will cuase more coral issues.

FWIW, you can use an acid such as muriatic acid or hydrochloric acid to drop Alk, but it cannot be done in tank, and involves dropping the alk on new water before adding to the tank.

I stongly suggest letting it drop naturally

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you mean. I'd have to start mixing my own, which I'm not currently set up for. Was hoping there was an additive I could try to pull it down a little.
If your LFS is your only source for saltwater, you're kind of limited in options if you're not going to mix your own. But it doesn't entail much: You just need a 5-gallon bucket from Home Depot, the salt, a spoon and a 5-gallon bottle of RO water.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is something google turned up. Maybe add an 1ML of vinegar?

Step 3: Add Organic Acid Like White Vinegar

Adding a small dose of white vinegar can be the game-changer when it comes to lowering the alkalinity in the reef tank. It will help to reduce the alkalinity level almost immediately. However, as it also lowers the pH level, you should not use any organic acid like vinegar frequently.

If the pH level drops significantly due to the use of organic acid, here’s what you should do to restore the pH:

• Stir the surface of the tank water. When you agitate the water, the gas exchange will improve in the water. As a result, the oxygenation of the reef tank will increase the pH level will be back to normal again.
  • Move the powerheads and return pump outlets towards the water surface.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i was without my RODI unit i would just go to the local glacier water machine. $.35/g

Buy yourself a bucket of Red sea blue, a small powerhead to mix (mj600-mj1200)
And go at it!

Or as suggested above, get a small bottle of muriatic acid and keep using the LFS water.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 45.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back