Angry Corals due to high Alkalinity?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really been struggling with my tank since I started it about 18 months ago.

Most recently have been battling ick and green cyno bacteria. Tank is actually looking pretty good now, with no signs of cyno or algae. But the corals still seem to be miserable. Have a few different zoas, a sinularia, and some GSP and Xenia. The only thing that looks good is the GSP, but it isn't spreading. Recently half of my Xenia died back which really hasn't been growing either. They are surviving, but far from thriving. Upon doing water tests today, I noticed my alkalinity was much higher than it has ever been at 13.7. It has generally been between 9.5 & 10.5. Could this be the cause for my corals to be so upset? Should I try to get that number down? If so, how and any thoughts how it would have gotten so high?

Full water parameters:

PH:8
Nitrate: 15-20
Phosphate: .03
Alk: 13.7
Cal: 460
Mag: 1350
Salinity: 1.0245 (working on getting this back up to 1.025)

Picture of tank for extra info it may provide.

Thanks for any thoughts.

IMG_0063.jpg

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing your ALK ? Which test kit ?
I'm using the salifert kit. I did test twice to make sure it was accurate.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your reading the amount left correctly. Watch this video just to double check.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your reading the amount left correctly. Watch this video just to double check.

Just watched, I am reading results correctly.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched, I am reading results correctly.
Its very odd TMP salt should not mix up over 8 dkh.
Maybe your LFS is not mixing correctly, or they are adding to buffer up the salt for their store. Most stores would not do that. Can you take your water to your LFS where you are buying your saltwater from and have them test your water, and the water your buying from them?

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very odd TMP salt should not mix up over 8 dkh.
Maybe your LFS is not mixing correctly, or they are adding to buffer up the salt for their store. Most stores would not do that. Can you take your water to your LFS where you are buying your saltwater from and have them test your water, and the water your buying from them?

So just for my education, without dosing specifically for it, would it be possible to raise the dkh through other means?

Regarding the LFS not mixing correctly, would this just be by adding too much salt to the water? If this is the case I would think I could test this by checking the salinity of their water?

Also, does it make sense to check the alk of the salt water I have in jugs from them? Kinda thinking it would.

I can have them test my water. I haven't since I have my own kits.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely have an LFS verify your results before taking any remedial action. Tropic Marin Pro does not mix anywhere near that high in Alk. Unless they are dosing Alk into the water (doubtful) the Alk should not be that high. I would suspect your test kit first.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
second the comment about investing in an RO system if you have space. isn't tropic marine pro the salt that was recently recalled? take a look at that. however, your alk should not be that high if your ifs is mixing the salt, unless they have no idea what they are doing. I would start mixing it myself if you can. The money it will cost will be made up in less livestock losses and your sanity will improve. Good luck!!

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just for my education, without dosing specifically for it, would it be possible to raise the dkh through other means?

Regarding the LFS not mixing correctly, would this just be by adding too much salt to the water? If this is the case I would think I could test this by checking the salinity of their water?

Also, does it make sense to check the alk of the salt water I have in jugs from them? Kinda thinking it would.

I can have them test my water. I haven't since I have my own kits.
Not likely, but would have to know all other means that are going on.
If they were just mixing it too strong, yes it would show up in salinity.
Yes check the alk of the jugs you have from them
have them test, reagents of test kits can expire or go bad.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a dumb question but are you topping off with freshwater or salt? And yes salinty test is how you would check this.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never be sure what you are getting when you buy your water from the LFS.

Are they using RODI? Are they supplementing anything to the salt mix?

I realize it is economical, but in the end, buying your water creates a variable in your reef keeping.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely have an LFS verify your results before taking any remedial action. Tropic Marin Pro does not mix anywhere near that high in Alk. Unless they are dosing Alk into the water (doubtful) the Alk should not be that high. I would suspect your test kit first.

I can have them test. Regarding the test kit, I just checked my salt water in the jug from them and it's reading 10.5. Which is in the range I have seen my tank at when testing in the past. I think....the test kit is ok. But I'm down to the bottom so will need a new one soon anyway.

Not likely, but would have to know all other means that are going on.
If they were just mixing it too strong, yes it would show up in salinity.
Yes check the alk of the jugs you have from them
have them test, reagents of test kits can expire or go bad.

Alk from one of my jugs in coming in at 10.5 using the same salifert test kit.

Checked the salinity of that same water it came in at 1.026

test kit doesn't expire until 08/2025

I know this is a dumb question but are you topping off with freshwater or salt? And yes salinty test is how you would check this.

I appreciate all of the troubleshooting help. Using freashwater, RODI that is also supplied by my LFS.

You can never be sure what you are getting when you buy your water from the LFS.

Are they using RODI? Are they supplementing anything to the salt mix?

I realize it is economical, but in the end, buying your water creates a variable in your reef keeping.

I agree with you cant be sure. They are using RODI, and have a TDS meter they are happy to show you the TDS of thier water. It has been zero when I've asked to see during fill ups. I dont know if they are adding supplements. I will ask next time im in.

a couple comments bring up a good question, how are you testing your salinity ?

I am using this refractometer, but using Brightwells calibration solution.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can have them test. Regarding the test kit, I just checked my salt water in the jug from them and it's reading 10.5. Which is in the range I have seen my tank at when testing in the past. I think....the test kit is ok. But I'm down to the bottom so will need a new one soon anyway.
Even 10.5 seems high for un-dosed Tropic Marin Pro. I would expect to see more like 7.5-8.5dKH. Are you sure it isn't Tropic Marin Classic? That mixes at about that Alk level.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even 10.5 seems high for un-dosed Tropic Marin Pro. I would expect to see more like 7.5-8.5dKH. Are you sure it isn't Tropic Marin Classic? That mixes at about that Alk level.

I'm fairly sure it is Pro, I would call the LFS and ask but they are only open Thursday - Sunday. I'll call tomorrow when they open and inquire.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My TMP is at 9.4. I suspect the issue to be either the water you are purchasing ( Have it tested) or Bad Batch ( serial numbers will be six digits, manufactured in Turkey) and may have an odd smell.
If you can confirm numbers are high, A small dose of white vinegar will immediately reduce alkalinity but will have effect on Ph in which high alk can act as a stimulant to increase pH in the tank and create further problems for your corals and even the fish.
There is also a close link between high alkalinity and a reduction in calcium. Calcium is needed for the successful growth of your corals as their skeletons are largely made up of it. Highest risk is alkalinity burn which happens because in relation with PAR in the tank, the photosynthesis process is increased while the corals can not fully match the growth demand.
Lastly, have a trusted LFS that does not use API test kits check your alk + Ph and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours. Your test kits are not by chance expired, are they ?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 76 45.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%
Back