Alkalinity is up and pH is down.

Gkrockman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fighting high Alk, 15+, and low pH, 7.6-7.9, for several weeks. Have a 30 gallon with fish, LR, and a few softies. I've done numerous water changes to the point I have done over 100% water changes over the last 6 weeks but not able to get ALK down and pH up. Using RO with TDS of 0 and mixing with IO salt. New water with IO tests around 11 dKH. Have HOB refugium and Marineland filter. I've stopped dosing Kalk and adding vinegar hasn't helped. Tank is over 10 years old with 3 inch sand bed.
Fish are doing well softies are OK but could be doing better. Other parameters:
Salinity: 35​
Calcium: 450 -490​
Magnesium: 1350​
Phosphate: .08​
Nitrate: 1​
Temp: 79-81​
Using Salifert and Hanna test kits to confirm test results. Usually test results are consistent between both. Sorry to be so wordy but don't know what next to do.​

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar is a temporary solution. From what I understand, using vinegar will lower alk for a bit, but then release it back into the water.
The first thing I would do is take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test it for Alk, Salinity, Calc, Mag, etc.
IO salt should mix up to 11dkh.
pH may be depressed due to lack of aeration and/or high concentrations of CO2 in your home.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fighting high Alk, 15+, and low pH, 7.6-7.9, for several weeks. Have a 30 gallon with fish, LR, and a few softies. I've done numerous water changes to the point I have done over 100% water changes over the last 6 weeks but not able to get ALK down and pH up. Using RO with TDS of 0 and mixing with IO salt. New water with IO tests around 11 dKH. Have HOB refugium and Marineland filter. I've stopped dosing Kalk and adding vinegar hasn't helped. Tank is over 10 years old with 3 inch sand bed.
Fish are doing well softies are OK but could be doing better. Other parameters:
Salinity: 35​
Calcium: 450 -490​
Magnesium: 1350​
Phosphate: .08​
Nitrate: 1​
Temp: 79-81​
Using Salifert and Hanna test kits to confirm test results. Usually test results are consistent between both. Sorry to be so wordy but don't know what next to do.​
Where is the tank located in the house?Are you using anything to boost ph? IO alone won't raise alk that high.

OP
OP
Gkrockman

Gkrockman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using pH+ boost for pH and was dosing Kalk to increase pH but that was increasing Alk.
Tank in living room near window with blinds always closed.

OP
OP
Gkrockman

Gkrockman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running an air stone with with pump located outside. Also have water pumps in water pointed to top to create extra wave motion...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using pH+ boost for pH and was dosing Kalk to increase pH but that was increasing Alk.
Tank in living room near window with blinds always closed.

Yes, pH+ boost is just a high pH alk supplement. You should ask Brightwell for your money back for false advertising that claims it doesn’t boost alk. Of course it does and they know it because they sell the same ingredient (hydroxide) in other products that they say boost alk. Perhaps their marine biologist needs to get a different career..

Here's their false advertising;

Boost pH+ High Range pH Increaser, raises pH only without increasing alkalinity or calcium (in tanks already having a proper dKH)​

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, pH+ boost is just a high pH alk supplement. You should ask Brightwell for your money back for false advertising that claims it doesn’t boost alk. Of course it does and they know it because they sell the same ingredient (hydroxide) in other products that they say boost alk. Perhaps their marine biologist needs to get a different career..

Here's their false advertising;

Boost pH+ High Range pH Increaser, raises pH only without increasing alkalinity or calcium (in tanks already having a proper dKH)​

Yep sadly I have lfs that pushes these type of products. Been kicked out of the store for telling then to stop and told customers they aren't needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back