Alkalinity keeps rising please help!

josh4107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I am wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my alkalinity continues to rise on its own. I handy tested in a while and got a reading of 13.7dkh so I did a large water change and got it back down to 11.7 yesterday. Today it's back up to 12.04. I don't dose anything I have a 33 gallon with about 10+ gallons in the sump. I run a reef octopus 110, don't dose anything. Don't run carbon or gfo. Corrected if I'm wrong but isn't alk supposed to decrease over time instead of increase? Anyone have any suggestions?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dosing anything at all? If it's not testing error then the salt mix either has a high alk or something added is causing it to rise.

OP
OP
josh4107

josh4107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ph buffers no additives. I'm using h2ocean salt like I said and it measured 10.7 on my Hanna meter so it is in acceptable range. What I don't understand is shouldn't my levels lower over a days period of time especially since I have lots of lps and a few sps? All my corals seems fine except for one of my chalices that is receeding a little. Could it be from over skimming? I'm just puzzled as to why it's rising not just why it's high.

OP
OP
josh4107

josh4107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I use a buckeye reef supply rodi unit just changed the membranes a couple months ago ...

kyle1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ma guessing a testing error. try buying another test kit or have it tested at your LFS

OP
OP
josh4107

josh4107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Hanna low range phosphate checker. And it may be a testing error but still, shouldn't my levels lower from reading to reading?

OP
OP
josh4107

josh4107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any possible explanations? I may just switch salts since the dkh is kind of high to begin with

OP
OP
josh4107

josh4107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know more as to why my alk is rising on its own. Even if it was at 8 it shouldn't move up to 9 on its own without additives...

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason for it to rise on its own. But your Salt mix being at 10, and you doing a Water change at that level, was not going to bring it any lower than it already is. Now, you can lower it yourself, you'll need to watch your PH. Use Muriatic Acid, this will lower it. Few MLS at a time will take it down.
And the reason it goes down is because the tank uses it, but if you have nothing in there using alot of it, it does not go down quickly.

OP
OP
josh4107

josh4107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason for it to rise on its own.
And the reason it goes down is because the tank uses it, but if you have nothing in there using alot of it, it does not go down quickly.

There has to be some sort of reason for the alk to be rising instead of falling when im not dosing anything any have plenty of lps and a few sps in the tank that should be using it up like I stated early. I think people are missing the point of my question also. Regardless of if i have a faulty hanna meter or not it shouldnt get a reading consistently higher than the day before... Ive decided to change salts since i just recently started using the h2ocean and didnt see this problem before. I always had an alkalinity of around 10-11 before with RC and no other problems so I'm going to switch back.

kyle1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that could be raising your alk would be your substrate. If you have crushed coral and your water is low enough in PH it may be dissolving the crushed coral releasing all and cal. But as stated earlier your PH does not get anywhere near the acidic point it needs to be.... Or everything would be dead

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can bring it down by dosing calc... but I realize that does not explain the reason.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has to be some sort of reason for the alk to be rising instead of falling when im not dosing anything any have plenty of lps and a few sps in the tank that should be using it up like I stated early. I think people are missing the point of my question also. Regardless of if i have a faulty hanna meter or not it shouldnt get a reading consistently higher than the day before... Ive decided to change salts since i just recently started using the h2ocean and didnt see this problem before. I always had an alkalinity of around 10-11 before with RC and no other problems so I'm going to switch back.
You've trouble shot it down to the Salt. Everyone else here including myself does not see any reason for your ALK to be rising at all. If the Salt your using has a bad batch and raises your ALk, then that would be an issue, but you said it was at 10, so there is no rhyme or reason to why. Got everyone looking here. For a test though, I'd dose it down to 9 and see what happens. And what ever you do, don't change any water or anything else before you test.

Nishar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update how you solve this problem? I’m facing same problem like you now. My alkalinity is 18dKH and I’m not dosing any buffer. My new salt mix alkalinity it 9dKH

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update how you solve this problem? I’m facing same problem like you now. My alkalinity is 18dKH and I’m not dosing any buffer. My new salt mix alkalinity it 9dKH

While I can advise on how to lower alkalinity, I think you need to look for the source, which would typically be artificial rock that wasn't fully cured before use.

Can you describe everything you add, and if you have artificial rock?

Do you use tap water?

Nishar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I can advise on how to lower alkalinity, I think you need to look for the source, which would typically be artificial rock that wasn't fully cured before use.

Can you describe everything you add, and if you have artificial rock?

Do you use tap water?
Thanks for reply.

I do not have artificial life rock in my tank. I’m using RO (purchase from supermarket) though. In the past I do not have this issue where my KH between 8 and 9. My pH is 8.1 calcium 450, magnesium 1350. Whenever I change water around 20 to 30% KH drop to just 17, where before it was 19 initially. Now it increase to 18

I’m really surprise with this result where chemically it doesn’t makes sense. Where calcium and ph is in acceptable range...now I feel even I change water, it will be waste of my effort

Possible for a dying coral rock leach back carbonate hardness?

Appreciate for any help and suggestion.

Back