Alkalinity meter/probe?

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than an Apex and other multi-function monitors, are there any devices available out there that just measures alkalinity? The thought process here is to be able to check the alkalinity level easily with a device vs. having to test.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge, an alkalinity probe does not exist. Closest thing would be KH Director, Trident, Alktronic, etc…

I use the Hanna Alk checker and it’s pretty painless. I can run a test in 2 minutes, maybe less.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measurement devices measure a physical property. For example ph might be millivolts between 2 probes or salinity might be conductivity. These are analogs for the actual parameter.
We would have to find a measurable property that is an analog for alkalinity.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge, an alkalinity probe does not exist. Closest thing would be KH Director, Trident, Alktronic, etc…

I use the Hanna Alk checker and it’s pretty painless. I can run a test in 2 minutes, maybe less.

Agree. I have the Hanna also and it's a pretty simple test. But testing daily, every other day, or every few days can be a bit of a hassle at times.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measurement devices measure a physical property. For example ph might be millivolts between 2 probes or salinity might be conductivity. These are analogs for the actual parameter.
We would have to find a measurable property that is an analog for alkalinity.

Understood. Explains the need for the reagent.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I have the Hanna also and it's a pretty simple test. But testing daily, every other day, or every few days can be a bit of a hassle at times.
Fair enough. I don’t have any experience with the automatic testers but if I did buy one it would be the Trident. I’d love the Mastertronic but it’s a lot of money.

One of the first automatic devices to be created was a small tile that went in the tank and had replaceable discs. I believe it would give you real time numbers but it never made it past prototype. I believe Neptune actually purchased the patent from the developers.

Back