Alkalinity or pH stability?

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a question - I've been playing around with my CO2 scrubbing and Soda Ash dosing to see if I could stabilize my pH and avoid it getting too high during the day. Now that I have an air exchanger on the house and a scrubber on the skimmer, my pH can exceed 8.5 during the day. So I thought I'd try an experiment and dose my alk at night and that did smooth things out a bit. I was now in the 8.25-8.4 range BUT I tested my alkalinity at the end of the day today just for fun and noticed it dropped .6 dkh during the day (more than I'd expected!).

So here's the question - what would my inhabitants be happier with - a stable alkalinity but big daily swings in pH, or lower pH swings but a bigger alkalinity that fluctuates daily?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no perfect answer, IMO.

This might be worth a read;

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley high mate. Im getting alk raising during the day and dropping at night. Dosing equal parts over a 24 hour period. My hanna and salifert match exactly what my kh monitor gives when the monitor gives its lowest reading over a 24hr period then the monitor raises. Could this be the monitor has the ability to detect total alk where hanna and salifert kits cant?

My lights come on at 12pm and off at 10pm. Could the raise during lighting period be down to the differences you stated with bicarbonate delta?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230418_090004.jpg
    Screenshot_20230418_090004.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20230418_090014.jpg
    Screenshot_20230418_090014.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 30

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley no idea mate. Hanna and salifert match the kh monitor when the monitor gives its lowest reading. Then the monitor kh gives higher readings during the day as the ph rises. Im dosing 2 part with sodium hydroxide. Then as soon as the lights start dimming and off. Alk level drops again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley no idea mate. Hanna and salifert match the kh monitor when the monitor gives its lowest reading. Then the monitor kh gives higher readings during the day as the ph rises. Im dosing 2 part with sodium hydroxide. Then as soon as the lights start dimming and off. Alk level drops again

You sure you are not showing pH in the alk column?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back