alkalinity problems

mitch303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright so yesterday i tested my alk and calcium levels and calcium was at 460 and alkalinity was at 7dkh. so today i started dripping kalk in my sump to get my water level back up from evaporation. so after i dripped the kalk i tested again and my dkh was at 5 and calcium at 420 i also checked my ph and it said 8.2-8.4 kind of hard to tell on the api test kit. and i did this test with the lights of in tank and refugium. so why is my alk so low today and ph is about normal? is it low because i was testing with the lights off? i think i need a ph tester or probe or something.

OMG Corals

meat popsicle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk is going to have minimal effect on your alk. But it will raise your Ph as the solution is very high in Ph. It will also only effect the calcium minimally. Kalk is better for Cal and Ph maintenance, not to raise them. I would get a good calcium and alk supplement and raise it with those. Then use the Kalk to maintain.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mitch303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the seachem 2 part so should I just add the alkalinity part since my calcium is where I want it?

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test you alk again about mid day/end of day (lighting cycle) see where it is then, then dose according to instructions but raise you alk slowly not to cause any shock I'd also get another test kit to compare your results to

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past i had put some of the brightwell Kalk + 2 in my top off water to get my calcium level up a bit. I also found that it made my PH rise a bit and my Alk drop a bit..

OP
OP
M

mitch303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I just did a water change and with the salt I use it brings my calc mag and alk levels back to where they should be so I'm going to test them all here in an hour or so. If all my levels are where they should be should I start dripping the kalk again to maintain them at those levels? Or am I still going to have to use 2 part?

OP
OP
M

mitch303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright just tested again after water change and my calium is 440 my magnesium is 1470 and alk came back at 5dkh again could i have a bad test kit?

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright just tested again after water change and my calium is 440 my magnesium is 1470 and alk came back at 5dkh again could i have a bad test kit?

What test are you using?

What salt are you using?

Sounds unlikely to be at 5dkh unless your salinity is super low.
I would do a big WC and make sure your make up water is at the level say 9dkh or whatever is desired.

Now if your make up water is low then your testing wrong, somehow. Get another test like Salifert to cross check. I also like the lamotte test but a Hanna checker (blue egg one)
might be a good investment.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 71 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back