Alkalinity problm

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am new to the hobby and I have had my 60-gallon tank set up now for about 3 weeks. I did a tank transfer so I have some easy to care for corals and 3 small fish. I have been trying to get all of my water chemistry down and I have been successful with all of it besides the Alkalinity/KH. I am not doing any water changes right now becasue it is a new tank and I was advised to let it cycle. Almost every day my Alkalinity levels drop one or 2 dkh levels. I add the exact direct amount of the red sea Kh foundation and I see a change for the first couple hours, but then it drops to what it was before I added the foundation. Is it common to occur, and what should I do about it? Thanks!!!

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not familiar with red sea products but I would say to get a good buffer that you can dose to your tank until your kh is where you would like it to be. I recommend using Kent Marine's Purple Tech to buffer calcium, magnesium, minerals, and alkalinity(kh). It also will aid the growth of coralline algae which I love. Another option is Searchem Reef Buffer which is works great also. Heres both links:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am new to the hobby and I have had my 60-gallon tank set up now for about 3 weeks. I did a tank transfer so I have some easy to care for corals and 3 small fish. I have been trying to get all of my water chemistry down and I have been successful with all of it besides the Alkalinity/KH. I am not doing any water changes right now becasue it is a new tank and I was advised to let it cycle. Almost every day my Alkalinity levels drop one or 2 dkh levels. I add the exact direct amount of the red sea Kh foundation and I see a change for the first couple hours, but then it drops to what it was before I added the foundation. Is it common to occur, and what should I do about it? Thanks!!!

Some numbers would be helpful. Do you really mean 2 dKH per day?

The production of nitrate from ammonia during cycling will deplete alkalinity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back