Alkalinity slowly rising

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does dosing amino acids several times a week cause a slow alkalinity increase? My alk has gone from 9 to 9.8 past several weeks and only change was weekly dosing of acrowpower now. Nitrates are stable at 12. Salinity consistent at 1.026. I do use coral pro salt which does have higher alk level but only doing 15% water change every 3 weeks now. I dose ESV bionic 2 part 18ml of alk and cal daily. Are the corals just not uptaking as much? Feed fish a little less?

What causes slow alk increase?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
According to another thread dosing amino acids can boost alkalinity per @Randy Holmes-Farley. I would also verify your measurements, make sure you're taking them at the same time of day, etc.

PS - It also sounds like there are a number of things that could be raising your alkalinity (you could just consider dosing less if your results are accurate?)

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to another thread dosing amino acids can boost alkalinity per @Randy Holmes-Farley. I would also verify your measurements, make sure you're taking them at the same time of day, etc.

PS - It also sounds like there are a number of things that could be raising your alkalinity (you could just consider dosing less if your results are accurate?)
I do test same time of day. 9dkh has been consistent for past 6 months or so and only past 3 weeks noticed the creep up. My calcium is 420 so that is not causing it. Yes, various things can raise alk so I'm guessing my recent addition of acrowpower is the source but wanted some expert input. I'm not going to dose this week and see if the number still rises.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is your calcium level?
Both work together.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assure youre not getting false test results. Another cause for rise in alkalinity is decline in nitrate levels. Test your nitrate levels to see if this is may be the reason for the increase in your alk

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assure youre not getting false test results. Another cause for rise in alkalinity is decline in nitrate levels. Test your nitrate levels to see if this is may be the reason for the increase in your alk
Nitrates are fine. I may try my red sea kit for a second type of test

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure that solves the mystery :)
I would say you are right if it just increased to a specific level and stayed there but mine has slowly increased over the last 2 or 3 weeks. Just like .2 every few days or so.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on coral amino raising alk?

It depends on how they are formulated. They can be designed to boost alk, be alk neutral, or deplete alk.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how they are formulated. They can be designed to boost alk, be alk neutral, or deplete alk.
thank you for the reply, Don't see anything specific on the bottles indicating a direction either way so I am guessing like a lot of the hidden ingredients in reef tank supplements, they try and keep this a mystery also but I will email them to find out. I am skipping dosing this week to see if my alk stabilizes again.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the reply, Don't see anything specific on the bottles indicating a direction either way so I am guessing like a lot of the hidden ingredients in reef tank supplements, they try and keep this a mystery also but I will email them to find out. I am skipping dosing this week to see if my alk stabilizes again.

I actually doubt whether most hobby manufacturers of amino acid supplements even know whether they boost alk or deplete alk, or neither. It’s a fairly sophisticated chemistry question.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back