Alkalinity swings

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I’m within my first year of reefing and trying to tighten up my chemistry. I know we do not want swings in our numbers, but I do not know what’s acceptable and what is not. I am doing everything manual for now. For example, if I have 7.8 dkh one day and two days later have 7.4 dkh, is that normal is that considered a drastic swing? Granted I did a 10% water change right before the second test. I normally do the test before a water change.
BD563D2C-D17B-40F6-81C1-1CA22CD4AB29.png

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your fine at that, I keep mine around 8.5 so I have a bit more wiggle room so it doesn’t go to low

You also need to remember you’ll always get a small amount of variation do to test error margins

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel better mine changed from 7.5 to 4.8 over 4 days and been dosing the same amount weeks prior to the any changes. Struggling to get it back up now without harming anything

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I’m within my first year of reefing and trying to tighten up my chemistry. I know we do not want swings in our numbers, but I do not know what’s acceptable and what is not. I am doing everything manual for now. For example, if I have 7.8 dkh one day and two days later have 7.4 dkh, is that normal is that considered a drastic swing? Granted I did a 10% water change right before the second test. I normally do the test before a water change.
BD563D2C-D17B-40F6-81C1-1CA22CD4AB29.png
It could be fine and it could be a sign that something is changing. It looks like you test at approximately the same time of day so you have that covered. If it continues to stay or trend lower then you may want to investigate more. Maybe test daily for a week or more at this point. If it is changing then it gets quite a bit more complex and you just need to consider all the variables that may play a role. Maturity of tank, what are you dosing?, are things growing?, etc. Not asking that now but if it trends lower those are just a few of the things to think about

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk will swing up and down throughout the day so good idea to check same time of day when you do test.

Alk does not typically swing up, except when dosing. It typically steadily goes down.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back