Alkalnity of saturated Kalk solution

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy-the-god-of-chemistry aka @Randy Holmes-Farley !

Jagshemash!

Can you help me with alkalinity (DKH) of fully saturated Kalk solution? I started dosing Kalk as PH supplement but wanted to understand roughly how to adjust my CaRx for extra alkalinity added via Kalk reactor..

Cheers,

Borat.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Randy-the-god-of-chemistry aka @Randy Holmes-Farley !

Jagshemash!

Can you help me with alkalinity (DKH) of fully saturated Kalk solution? I started dosing Kalk as PH supplement but wanted to understand roughly how to adjust my CaRx for extra alkalinity added via Kalk reactor..

Cheers,

Borat.

It contains about 800 ppm calcium and 100 dKH alkalinity. Adding it to your aquarium will increase both calcium and alkalinity in the right ratio.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It contains about 800 ppm calcium and 100 dKH alkalinity. Adding it to your aquarium will increase both calcium and alkalinity in the right ratio.
Thank you!

My CaRx effluent DKH is about 40 -now I can translate each 1ml of Kalk water added as approx. 2.5ml of CaRx effluent equivalent!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

My CaRx effluent DKH is about 40 -now I can translate each 1ml of Kalk water added as approx. 2.5ml of CaRx effluent equivalent!

If by CaRx, you mean a CaCO2/CO2 reactor, remember that it is only adding the alk that is above the tank alk. If tank alk is 7 dKH, then 40 dKH effluent is adding 33 dKH.

At 25 deg C, fully saturated limewater (kalkwasser) has an alkalinity of 114 dKH. If will be lower if the temperature is higher, and note that many limewater reactors produce far less than saturated limewater.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by CaRx, you mean a CaCO2/CO2 reactor, remember that it is only adding the alk that is above the tank alk. If tank alk is 7 dKH, then 40 dKH effluent is adding 33 dKH.

At 25 deg C, fully saturated limewater (kalkwasser) has an alkalinity of 114 dKH. If will be lower if the temperature is higher, and note that many limewater reactors produce far less than saturated limewater.
This is indeed a good point! so 40 added over DKHs of 10 means 30 added versus approx 110 DKH over 10, that's a ratio of (110-10)/(40-10), i.e. 3.3.

Cheers,

Borat the amateur chemist

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is indeed a good point! so 40 added over DKHs of 10 means 30 added versus approx 110 DKH over 10, that's a ratio of (110-10)/(40-10), i.e. 3.3.

Cheers,

Borat the amateur chemist

No.

Limewater (kalkwasser) starts with 0 dKH fresh water. It cannot be used with tank water.

OP
OP
Borat

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

Limewater (kalkwasser) starts with 0 dKH fresh water. It cannot be used with tank water.
Ahh you are right - as I replace evaporated water (0 DKH) - adding Kalk water is indeed adding 110 DKH.

Cheers,

Borat.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back