Alkilinity

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering what everyone is m use to dose to keep alkalinity up? I know the stand by is kent 2 part but I was wondering if and what else there is for this

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering what everyone is m use to dose to keep alkalinity up? I know the stand by is kent 2 part but I was wondering if and what else there is for this
I’ve had reefs since 2005 and never really knew anyone to dose kent. Same for seachem. ESV B-ionic is an oldschool stand-by that’s still popular today but many people don’t buy branded additives.

Early on, kalkwasser or pickling lime was king. In the early 2000’s most people started following Randy’s recipe sourcing their own CaCl, baking soda and MgCl. Eventually BRS became the leader for pure sources.
I still buy 15lb bags of baking soda from costco. I bake it to make soda ash for certain situations. I also use kalkwasser and started using lye(drain cleaner) in recent months.

OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I used pickling lime. Just wondering if anyone still remembers the good old days. Lol. I got to look into randys recipe. Seems to be pretty popular

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda. Grocery store variety.

I can kinda maybe see the point of buying so called reef grade baking soda even though its silly. Food grade anything > reef grade. Ask a chemist. Not the two carnival barkers at BRS.

Reefers who buy alk in bottles of liquid though likely have the recipe for ice cubes in their wallet. Not only are you paying for water and getting ripped off but its more complicated calculating alk requirements.

Grow up and use good old baking soda and a set of measuring spoons.

Love kalk, but my calcium consumption us too high to bother with it.

OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking soda...huh been doing this a long time and never really used baking soda as a regular addition. I have used it to raise in a pinch bit never really dosed with it. Man I should have thought of that. How do you calculate usage? I'm intrigued by that. So many people with great ideas it's amazing. Like I said I'm a old school pickling lime guy.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just google Randy's DIY 2 part.

Plain old arm and hammer baking soda for ALK supplement. Or bake the baking soda for soda ash. Or the new 2 part uses lye(sodium hydroxide) to increase PH. Very similar to soda ash in dosing, but increases PH even more(more like using soda ash and kalkwasser together).

Everyone these days(all the cool kids) seem to be using TM's all for reef. I could never understand buying supplements when regular old food grade stuff is easily 1/3 of the price, and works just as good if not better. I'll keep the extra money I'm not spending on a commercial 2 part for more fish or frags.

FWIW BRS's ALK CAL and MAG are based off @Randy Holmes-Farley DIY recipe.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In cases where kalk will work for all or a meaningful part of Ca/Alk demand, I think it’s the superior choice. Other supplements either jack up your ionic balance or are a form of carbon dosing. They may be the right choice where demand outstrips kalk, or where carbon dosing is desired.

I guess a Ca reactor works similarly to kalk, but for those of us with lower demand, they’re overkill. And you might need kalk with a reactor to keep pH up anyway.

I say ride the kalkwasser horse as far as you can!

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use Triton Core 7 (4 part). Have had great success with it so far.

OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason for all this is I just started using a sulphur reactor and I feel my need to dose will go up. So I am looking at all my options to get ahead of it.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an all in one (Polyp Lab One). Maintains calcium and alkalinity very well and takes very little product. I did two part forever (Seachem reef plus and carbonate) which worked fine but the one part is simpler, uses less product to achieve the same results and has the secondary effect of passive carbon dosing.

OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going back to the old stand by....pickling lime. Easy and effective. So far with the new reactor my oh had not crashed like I thought it would. So really nothing has changed much other than my nitrates and dropping fast...which is good.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going back to the old stand by....pickling lime. Easy and effective. So far with the new reactor my oh had not crashed like I thought it would. So really nothing has changed much other than my nitrates and dropping fast...which is good.

If you can meet your demand with it, it’s the way to go IMO.

OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will just add another dosing pump for more pickling lime. I can use 2 heads to dose more often should be all right I think. BTW. Happy turkey day to everyone!

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will just add another dosing pump for more pickling lime. I can use 2 heads to dose more often should be all right I think. BTW. Happy turkey day to everyone!
BTW, do you use stuff packaged as actual pickling lime? Early in my short reefing career, I looked for it and could t find anywhere. So bought a biggish bag of calcium hydroxide (marketed for reefing) that will last me for a few years. But then just recently ran across honest-to-god pickling lime...at the local hardware store. Either obviously fine. I am skeptical of the supplement rage in the hobby.

OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I buy it in a can from a hardware store it's a green can literally called pickling lime. This is really old school reefing! Only now my apex controls my doser...long time ago it was a 2 liter bottle and a drip line with a clamp to control flow. Odd how things have changed yet stayed the same over some 30+ years in this hobby

OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This my tank in its current form. I just re aqua-scapped it so my corals are in my smaller tank currently. Will be moving them over in the next few days...this is the tank I started the new reactor on...so I'm happy with it now.

Attachments

• PXL_20201126_213026063.jpg
    PXL_20201126_213026063.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We call these guys then "tang gang"

Attachments

• PXL_20201126_213701005.jpg
    PXL_20201126_213701005.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Thetankdoctor

Thetankdoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said excuse the mess. Just did a bunch of work on the tank. Re+plumbed a bunch moved and re-rocked stuff...so it looks dirty as hell right now

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back