Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if the yellow coris is in first, possible, but less likely if the melanurus is in first.
Awesome! Yellow corris is already in the tank. Would be getting the melanurus today.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Yellow corris is already in the tank. Would be getting the melanurus today.
I should add the corris has been in the tank for 6 months or more. Melanurus will hopefully be a small one or I’ll pass

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in love with a c. Rubrisquamis that I picked up a few months ago and I am very interested in moving towards a wrasse tank.

I read in the "all about" thread that this particular fish can be one of the most aggressive of the cirrhilabrus, but live aquaria indicates very peaceful.

I'm interested in finding another fairy or flasher, and maybe a possum wrasse. Any anecdotal experience with rubrisquamis to share?

Mine flashes at other fish but I'm not seeing any aggression although he does stand his own ground. (assertive)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add the corris has been in the tank for 6 months or more. Melanurus will hopefully be a small one or I’ll pass
It was a full grown older guy. Came from a customer tank. Super fat and healthy but I want a smaller one to start so I passed.

What would another cool wrasse to pair with the corris? I love Melanurus but I feel maybe I should branch out.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in love with a c. Rubrisquamis that I picked up a few months ago and I am very interested in moving towards a wrasse tank.

I read in the "all about" thread that this particular fish can be one of the most aggressive of the cirrhilabrus, but live aquaria indicates very peaceful.

I'm interested in finding another fairy or flasher, and maybe a possum wrasse. Any anecdotal experience with rubrisquamis to share?

Mine flashes at other fish but I'm not seeing any aggression although he does stand his own ground. (assertive)

When LA talks about aggressive vs peaceful they are usually talking in generalities. Almost all wrasses are very peaceful with completely unrelated fish, where truly aggressive fish will be aggressive with all kinds of fish. Peaceful with other wrasses is what's important when we are trying to keep multiple fish in the same or similar genus. Rubrisquamis has a bad rep for tolerating other fairy wrasses.

It was a full grown older guy. Came from a customer tank. Super fat and healthy but I want a smaller one to start so I passed.

What would another cool wrasse to pair with the corris? I love Melanurus but I feel maybe I should branch out.

You could add a small fairy wrasse like a C. lubbocki or a flasher...or a possum wrasse.

Alex7845

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
Thanks
I had to take the 3 as it seems it came from a sponsor as a package
I guess once they become a problem ill have to catch 2/3 and find someone to swap or host them

Btw great forum and resource [emoji4]

Alex

You were so right
Male has been mean with the females and chasing them and every one else in the tank
Lottery with lifestock isn’t good... don’t want to win something you didn’t want
They are going back to the LFS...

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When LA talks about aggressive vs peaceful they are usually talking in generalities. Almost all wrasses are very peaceful with completely unrelated fish, where truly aggressive fish will be aggressive with all kinds of fish. Peaceful with other wrasses is what's important when we are trying to keep multiple fish in the same or similar genus. Rubrisquamis has a bad rep for tolerating other fairy wrasses.

Any thoughts on adding Paracheilinus mccoskeri or Carpenter and maybe a Pseudocheilinops ataenia with the rubrisquamis?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some captive-bred wrasses that I can get online at what sites that would be suitable for a 54 gallon display tank?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on adding Paracheilinus mccoskeri or Carpenter and maybe a Pseudocheilinops ataenia with the rubrisquamis?

How big is your tank? The bigger the better chance of success.

I don't have personal experience with C. rubrisquamis as I've avoided it due to it's reputation. No doubt it's absolutely beautiful. Hopefully someone who's kept them can chime in. I would absolutely use an acclimation box if you try and absolutely would not free the new fish if there was any persistent evidence of aggression in a couple of days. The pink streak is particularly mild mannered and would be even more susceptible to bullying.

@eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use an acclimation box to introduce. Rubrisquammis can be pretty assertive to other flashers and fairies.

The pink streak will be fine.
What are some captive-bred wrasses that I can get online at what sites that would be suitable for a 54 gallon display tank?
As of now there are only about 3 species of wrasse that have actually been bred in captivity, and none are offered frequently.

You will probably have to go with wild caught specimens.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you notice the curator's notes it will s qq y they were "reared in captivity." This is not the same as captive bred. Captive reared fish are collected as juveniles from the wild and then grown in captivity.

For a fish as common and hardy as a yellow coris, I would spend less and get a wild one.
LA has them for $14

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
Thanks
I had to take the 3 as it seems it came from a sponsor as a package
I guess once they become a problem ill have to catch 2/3 and find someone to swap or host them

Btw great forum and resource :)

Alex

I have 4 Rhomboid wrasses, started with three females one supermale and now have 2 1/2 males 1 1/2 females Lol no problems along with a large Scotts, large Labouti and large lineatus with no problems at all in a 150 along with 2 clowns, large blonde male naso tang , red hawk (jerk) couple gobbies so it can be done, had them for a long time

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Rhomboid wrasses, started with three females one supermale and now have 2 1/2 males 1 1/2 females Lol no problems along with a large Scotts, large Labouti and large lineatus with no problems at all in a 150 along with 2 clowns, large blonde male naso tang , red hawk (jerk) couple gobbies so it can be done, had them for a long time
Didn't you start with 2 males and 3 females? What happened to the katherinae?

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost one of the males but replaced it with a female but ur right, I lost the male to being a sick fish to start with but that happens when you buy on internet, I fish trapped the Katherine and gave him to my LFS he was taking room and had attitude for such a cheap wrasse :)

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2.5-3” Timor in a 53g (36x18 footprint). I want to add a pink steamed wrasse and then a McCoskers. Will this mix be ok using acclimatation box?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost one of the males but replaced it with a female but ur right, I lost the male to being a sick fish to start with but that happens when you buy on internet, I fish trapped the Katherine and gave him to my LFS he was taking room and had attitude for such a cheap wrasse :)
How soon after you got it did it perish, since it was sick from the start?
I have a 2.5-3” Timor in a 53g (36x18 footprint). I want to add a pink steamed wrasse and then a McCoskers. Will this mix be ok using acclimatation box?
They will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back