All About Reef Safe Wrasses in Aquaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference between Melanurus collected in Fiji and those collected in Melanesia? The price of the Melanesia version is 20% higher.

Never mind. I just found another thread with the same question, answered by the experts. No difference between the two. Thanks!

Last edited:

dsinsocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the following in a 75 gallon:

C. lubbocki
“Lubbock’s Fairy”
C. luteovittatus “Velvet Multicolor Fairy” or “Yellow-Banded Fairy”
C. isosceles “Pintail Fairy”

All have been living peacefully together for about 6 months.

I have a chance to buy a male C. rubrimarginatus “Pink Margin Fairy” -- approx. 2 inch.

I have concerns mostly about the size of the tank, since the Luteovittatus is already about 4 inches, and 90 gallons is suggested for both of these fish. I fear the cramped quarters might bring out some aggression between the two.

Valid concern?

Last edited:

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

C. lubbocki
“Lubbock’s Fairy”

I have a chance to buy a male C. rubrimarginatus “Pink Margin Fairy” -- approx. 2 inch.

I have concerns mostly about the size of the tank, since the Luteovittatus is already about 4 inches, and 90 gallons is suggested for both of these fish. I fear the cramped quarters might bring out some aggression between the two.

Valid concern?

Very valid I would think. The luteovittatus might get to be a problem even if the tank were twice the size it is.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

C. lubbocki
“Lubbock’s Fairy”

Valid concern?
It may or may not be an issue. A 75 has the same foot print as a 90g. Also, having 6 fairies will diffuse aggression. But that many fairies in that size tank can be volatile.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to find the best pellet to feed my fairy wrasse dominated tank. I also have genocanthus angles, two tangs, Randals anthias and leopard wrasse in the tank as well. I always feed a mixture of frozen foods but I'm looking for what is considered the best pellet food for my auto feeding.

I'm currently using pe pellets. What does everyone like?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently have in my 180g DT

Female Golden Rhomb
Male lineatus wrasse
Male Labouts
Male Leopard Wrasse
Yellow Coris
Yellowfin Flasher
Eightline Flasher
Yellowchest Twist Wrasse

Would it be fine for me to add a radiant wrasse and male pink margin fairy wrasse?

I also want to add a super male pintail fairy wrasse sometime in the future.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to find the best pellet to feed my fairy wrasse dominated tank. I also have genocanthus angles, two tangs, Randals anthias and leopard wrasse in the tank as well. I always feed a mixture of frozen foods but I'm looking for what is considered the best pellet food for my auto feeding.

I'm currently using pe pellets. What does everyone like?
PE pellets are good. I like New Life ther-a pellets.
I currently have in my 180g DT

Female Golden Rhomb
Male lineatus wrasse
Male Labouts
Male Leopard Wrasse
Yellow Coris
Yellowfin Flasher
Eightline Flasher
Yellowchest Twist Wrasse

Would it be fine for me to add a radiant wrasse and male pink margin fairy wrasse?

I also want to add a super male pintail fairy wrasse sometime in the future.
The lineatus may take particular aggressive interest in a pink margin.

A radiant should be fine.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
PE pellets are good. I like New Life ther-a pellets.

The lineatus may take particular aggressive interest in a pink margin.

A radiant should be fine.

My lineatus is the most shy but I will make sure I watch out for that. My leopard wrasse is the most dominant haha.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, what if I added the moyeri and choati at the same time? Maybe that would help aggression between all of them?
That could work. But I would get them accustomed to your light schedule and fattened up before adding to the dt.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast, I've come across a few posts where you mention H. richmondi as one of the smaller wrasses. I've always liked them, but dismissed them due to the 17cm size listed on Fishbase (almost marginatus big), as well as the 7.5" in Hunter's article of this thread. How big would you say they typically get?

The smaller Halichoeres, chrysus, leucoxanthus, leucurus, argus, timorensis, iridis, claudia, richmondi, to name a few.

I'm a big fan of some of the smaller, more peaceful Halichoeres species, such as biocellatus, iridis, chrysus, leucurus, richmondi, and argus.

Small, peaceful Halichoeres species, such as chrysus, leucurus, argus, leucoxanthus, biocellatus, and richmondi would work.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast, I've come across a few posts where you mention H. richmondi as one of the smaller wrasses. I've always liked them, but dismissed them due to the 17cm size listed on Fishbase (almost marginatus big), as well as the 7.5" in Hunter's article of this thread. How big would you say they typically get?
I refer to them as a "smaller Halichoeres" based on demeanor and size. Their demeanor is on par with the the species I mentioned. And while it does get bigger than some of the mentioned species, it is smaller than most of the Caribbean and South American Halichoeres species, as well as Indo-Pacific species, such as checkerboards, green coris, and scapularis.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I refer to them as a "smaller Halichoeres" based on demeanor and size. Their demeanor is on par with the the species I mentioned. And while it does get bigger than some of the mentioned species, it is smaller than most of the Caribbean and South American Halichoeres species, as well as Indo-Pacific species, such as checkerboards, green coris, and scapularis.
Thank you. Understood. I was hoping fishbase is wrong in this instance, as they are from time to time on size.

I've been looking for leucurus for a long time, but they seem scarse as hen's teeth. Almost thought richmondi could be the perfect alternative. Bummer.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Understood. I was hoping fishbase is wrong in this instance, as they are from time to time on size.

I've been looking for leucurus for a long time, but they seem scarse as hen's teeth. Almost thought richmondi could be the perfect alternative. Bummer.
May I ask why the extra length on richmondi is limiting for you? If I remember correctly your tank should be able to comfortably house one.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask why the extra length on richmondi is limiting for you? If I remember correctly your tank should be able to comfortably house one.
My tank is a 5ft, so should technically be fine. For me it is more a matter of scale, compared to my other fishes, as the next biggest will be my lineatus and leucoxanthus. Maybe I'm just over-thinking things, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back