OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved What would be a recommended size for flashers, like a diamond tail?
Tank size? Something at least 3' in length, which also pretty much ensure's there's also enough volume. But the lateral swimming space is quite important with that genus in particular.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an adult (truly a 8-10" fish - I've seen them first hand on Fiji reefs), they'll be pretty hard on most all your motile inverts and they're also a bit bully-ish.
So the "most" part comes in because they are completely coral safe, so long as you know how the species behaves and plan for it - keeping only larger fish that won't be bullied, plus not keeping most small motile inverts (which is what general CUC consist of), then they can be okay. Otherwise you're probably in for a headache.

LA isn't perfect - no single source is. Generally I find LA to be mostly accurate. Sometimes it's best to comb over several sources and take a consensus.

Powder Blue Tang, Purple Tang, Convict Tang, Tomini Tang, Osellaris Clowns, Flame Angel, Spotted Mandarin, Royal Grammas, Midas Blenny.

Also have 1 Fire shrimp and a handful of Nassarius snails that are over 6 years old, probably on borrowed time at this point, ha!

These would be the fish it would be introduced to in the 262 gallon tank. Would you foresee conflict with the Marble Wrasse?

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay the smallest I’m thinking of getting back into it would be the Red Sea XL 300 so 3’ x 1.94’. Also thinking of doing bare bottom so flashers and fairy’s should be good without sand.

Tank size? Something at least 3' in length, which also pretty much ensure's there's also enough volume. But the lateral swimming space is quite important with that genus in particular.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Blue Tang, Purple Tang, Convict Tang, Tomini Tang, Osellaris Clowns, Flame Angel, Spotted Mandarin, Royal Grammas, Midas Blenny.

Also have 1 Fire shrimp and a handful of Nassarius snails that are over 6 years old, probably on borrowed time at this point, ha!

These would be the fish it would be introduced to in the 262 gallon tank. Would you foresee conflict with the Marble Wrasse?
Well, that is getting into the realm of appropriate. The fire shrimp will probably get snacked on, but the nassarius are safe being hidden in the sand during the daylight hours.
Okay the smallest I’m thinking of getting back into it would be the Red Sea XL 300 so 3’ x 1.94’. Also thinking of doing bare bottom so flashers and fairy’s should be good without sand.
Gotcha; sounds okay.
My "tank size?" question was in regards to me being unsure what "size" you were asking about - meaning an appropriate size of tank or what physical size the fish should be purchased at. (it's now clear you did mean the former) :)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved this guy is so tempting. Already have ~5 wrasses in the 300 though.... at some point I need to stop :oops:

JqOYKYC.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And those are? There's always room for more if you choose correctly. ;)

Kind of random, embarrassingly. I have not put much research into wrasse compatibility because they have never expressed interest in eachother (I know that is somewhat irresponsible). No apparent aggression, and they never seem to occupy the same space either.

Right now, 2x Fairy wrasse, melanurus, flasher wrasse, small yellow coris.

this video shows most

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. Just making sure there is enough room for them to swim. I know some like to swim more than other.

Any other good ones that would go well with pintails, diamond tails, six lines, carpenters, and McCosker’s. I’d love a flame but I think they would need a bigger tank.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x Fairy wrasse
this video shows most
I was about to ask what those two species are, but the video clears that up (solorensis & adornatus).
So adornatus is known aggressor, but with the tank size katherinae might be okay.
Any other good ones that would go well with pintails, diamond tails, six lines, carpenters, and McCosker’s.
Uh, well the six line makes everything else on that list impossible, so that needs to look more like:
pintails, diamond tails, six lines, carpenters, and McCosker’s
:)
I’d love a flame but I think they would need a bigger tank.
Agree - a bit shy on space for such.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hearing how 6 or 8 lines wrasse are great for pest control. I didn't think they were not compatible D: Are the other wrasse good pest control or no?

Uh, well the six line makes everything else on that list impossible, so that needs to look more like:
pintails, diamond tails, six lines, carpenters, and McCosker’s
:)

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hearing how 6 or 8 lines wrasse are great for pest control. I didn't think they were not compatible
I must refer you to the first post:
About Pseudocheilinus

The “Lined” wrasses, such as the Sixline, Fourline, etc., but also include such species as the Mystery Wrasse. Once established in a system, they often become quite confrontational towards new additions and are outright incompatible with other wrasses. For this reason, most should avoid the genus. However, they do hold some merit in the hobby as they can be a great addition in the appropriate setting. This is a very hardy genus and will readily hunt for pods and pests throughout the system. Therefore, they are a great addition to frag tanks or other small systems which are not suited for the larger genera. As much of a bully as they generally are, they are also notorious for being shy when observers are around. Species in this genus do not need a sand bed, as they will sleep within the rockwork in a mucus cocoon. Category 2 in terms of reef-safeness.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to ask what those two species are, but the video clears that up (solorensis & adornatus).
So adornatus is known aggressor, but with the tank size katherinae might be okay.

Katherinae @$300 is just slightly over budget for me; don't like spending that much on a single critter. Lots of $100 gorgeous fairy wrasses, maybe an Orangeback.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that is getting into the realm of appropriate. The fire shrimp will probably get snacked on, but the nassarius are safe being hidden in the sand during the daylight hours.

Would the Yellow Coris Wrasse be a better option for a peaceful Wrasse (not harming snails, crabs and of course my Mandarin)?

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great article. Very well written. I’m assuming this lands in your cat. 3 group, what do you think of the Queen Coris. I’ve had one for some time in my 200g reef. Pretty model so far, I don’t really keep to many snails and hermits. Planning on upgrading soon to a 400-600g.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great article. Very well written.
Thank you!
I’m assuming this lands in your cat. 3 group, what do you think of the Queen Coris.
Correct; the whole Coris genus is intentionally omitted. They can be added to a reef tank, but you need to know what you're getting into. :)
I don’t really keep to many snails and hermits. Planning on upgrading soon to a 400-600g.
And that's half of it - expecting them to eat any snails/crabs/shrimp. The other part is they'll flip over anything they can, searching for food. So anything small enough to qualify there must be glued down sufficiently. Keeping corals on the sand bed is impossible without daily headache.

If I want to do 2 Wrasses, would Halichoeres leucoxanthus go well with Halichoeres chrysus?
Best to pick something else - visually those are the same species - just one has a white belly, the other is all yellow.
And if I wanted to add a 3rd Wrasse with dramatic different coloration than the other 2, do you have any suggestions?
I stray away from specific suggestions as the choice is personal based on what appeals to you, what you wish to spend, and what you can actually find available to purchase - all factors that are individual. I'm always willing to help weed through some specific choices!

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the katherine in my tank. nice,peaceful fish but doesn’t look like photo...don’t remember exactly but around $70 i paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back