All consumption completely stalling

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is almost 2 years old now and have been dosing ESV b ionic for about 8 months now with great results. But for the last week ive been having to lower the dosage gradually from 28ml a day to 13ml a day wince the alk just keeps increasing. I ususally like to keep it between 8.0-8.2 but its up to 9.2 now! test my alk daily so thats why ive been slowly decreasing the dosage if not who knows how high it could have gotten. Ive been dosing nitrates and phosphates aswell as adding pellets 4 times a day to keep it from tanking since im currently going through a fallow period. I know that dosing nitrates can increase alk a bit but it cant be to that extent.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is fallow, there is nothing to uptake elements...

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is fallow, there is nothing to uptake elements...
Corals dont just stop growing because the tank has no fish though, ive made sure that i keep the nutrients up i dose 10ml of nitrate a day to keep it at 5ppm and dose 2 ml of phosphate a day to keep it at 0.05. My falloe period is almost done its just this past week that the consumption has been slowly declining. Yesterday i lowered the dosage to 18ml per day and today had to lower it to 13ml.

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first thought is that you're coraline algae growth has reached it's equilibrium with good coverage on your rockwork, that tends to drop consumption levels somewhat.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that corals consume Ammonia and not necessarily Nitrate. Nitrate is from unused Ammonia. If your corals have stopped growing due insufficient nutrients, then they will also stop consuming as much Ca and Alk , causing Alk to rise.

You may need to add more pellets (for Ammonia and phosphate) to get your corals growing again. Do you run ATS or macro-algae to export nutrients? Are your lights running at the same intensity and duration as before?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals dont just stop growing because the tank has no fish though, ive made sure that i keep the nutrients up i dose 10ml of nitrate a day to keep it at 5ppm and dose 2 ml of phosphate a day to keep it at 0.05. My falloe period is almost done its just this past week that the consumption has been slowly declining. Yesterday i lowered the dosage to 18ml per day and today had to lower it to 13ml.
You said fallow. You did not define that fallow did not include removal of the corals.
My understanding is that corals consume Ammonia and not necessarily Nitrate. Nitrate is from unused Ammonia. If your corals have stopped growing due insufficient nutrients, then they will also stop consuming as much Ca and Alk , causing Alk to rise.

You may need to add more pellets (for Ammonia and phosphate) to get your corals growing again. Do you run ATS or macro-algae to export nutrients? Are your lights running at the same intensity and duration as before?
This is not true. Ammonia is converted to nitrate which the corals' symbionts need to live and feed your corals.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have stopped everything the refugium has been off for months, i have even kept the same diety filter sock for weeks now and have added frozen fish food once a day and with the auto feeder ive beed adding pellets 4 times a day aswell as dosing nitrates and phosphates. Perhaps i should add a drop or 2 of dr tims ammonia? All of this consumption issue has happened only this week. I have not touched the lights for over a year btw.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said fallow. You did not define that fallow did not include removal of the corals.

This is not true. Ammonia is converted to nitrate which the corals symbionts need to live and feed your corals.
Yea i should have specified i meant fish fallow lol

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first thought is that you're coraline algae growth has reached it's equilibrium with good coverage on your rockwork, that tends to drop consumption levels somewhat.
I mean yea my tank is full of coralline but they havent stopped growing i always scrape my glass weekly when i do water changes lol

Attachments

• IMG-20210622-WA0013.jpg
    IMG-20210622-WA0013.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3327.jpg
    IMG_3327.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been fish-fallow?
For the past 2 months but only started having this issue this week this is the chart i use to write down my daily alk test ( i test everyday at the same time with the hanna checker btw) as you see in the picture as the alk is going up im lowering the dosage everyday aswell. Good thing i test alk daily.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210629-182212_AquaticLog.jpg
    Screenshot_20210629-182212_AquaticLog.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 63

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean yea my tank is full of coralline but they havent stopped growing i always scrape my glass weekly when i do water changes lol
i think you missed my point. as a system matures coralline algae starts growing at a much faster rate, once it has covered all your rockwork where you're not scraping it off, there's really nowhere for it to continue to grow in abundance (unless you want it solid on the glass) and therefore it's consumption of Ca/Alk slows down. the larger the tank and the more rockwork the more dramatic this can be seen.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you missed my point. as a system matures coralline algae starts growing at a much faster rate, once it has covered all your rockwork where you're not scraping it off, there's really nowhere for it to continue to grow in abundance (unless you want it solid on the glass) and therefore it's consumption of Ca/Alk slows down. the larger the tank and the more rockwork the more dramatic this can be seen.
Where did you hear that coralline algae will not continue to grow? It will continue to grow and stack. Seen this in my system, and out in the wild, regularly. Here is a photo, for example.
Corraline algae.jpg

KC's CNC Creations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you hear that coralline algae will not continue to grow? It will continue to grow and stack. Seen this in my system, and out in the wild, regularly. Here is a photo, for example.
Corraline algae.jpg
IF you'll read it again, i said in ABUNDANCE, sure it'll plate, but it's not at the same rate as it was over bare scape.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past 2 months but only started having this issue this week this is the chart i use to write down my daily alk test ( i test everyday at the same time with the hanna checker btw) as you see in the picture as the alk is going up im lowering the dosage everyday aswell. Good thing i test alk daily.
If Alk-consumption has been consistent for two months, then something changed a week or two ago. Only you can say what that was. Did you clean your dosing pumps/lines, change whatever else goes into your tank daily or weekly, or change something in your tank that removes nutrients?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Corals can use nitrate

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many things can consume alk, and if you are adding nitrate there isn't any bacteria processing to nitrate and thats a significant consumer of alk.

With that much SPS I'm inclined to focus more on calcium consumption and the general growth of the corals.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Alk-consumption has been consistent for two months, then something changed a week or two ago. Only you can say what that was. Did you clean your dosing pumps/lines, change whatever else goes into your tank daily or weekly, or change something in your tank that removes nutrients?
I did a water change 1 day prior to this happening but its the same batch that ive been using for the last 2 months.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test pH consitantly? Noticed any changes?
I never test PH tbh, now that you mention it i have had to leave the windows close for this whole week since its so hot here in nyc and i gotta leave the AC on.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back