All corals close up on arrival, including xenia

TheStripedHermit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a duncan and at first it half opened until today where its completely closed along with my xenia with which is barely open despite being in my tank for over 6 months now with no growth other than two tiny polyps from the first 2 weeks on my rock.

Levels are:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 0
Ph: 8.0

Calcium: 450
Alkalinity: 11
Magnesium: 1280

The only other thing I can think of causing this is possibly the presence of dinoflagellates in my tank but they aren't anywhere near plague proportion levels and don't grow on any of the corals. Its occasionally only 1 or 2 small strands I see in the front corners of the tank which I blow off with a baster so the filter can pick up but it seems unlikely.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a duncan and at first it half opened until today where its completely closed along with my xenia with which is barely open despite being in my tank for over 6 months now with no growth other than two tiny polyps from the first 2 weeks on my rock.

Levels are:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 0
Ph: 8.0

Calcium: 450
Alkalinity: 11
Magnesium: 1280

The only other thing I can think of causing this is possibly the presence of dinoflagellates in my tank but they aren't anywhere near plague proportion levels and don't grow on any of the corals. Its occasionally only 1 or 2 small strands I see in the front corners of the tank which I blow off with a baster so the filter can pick up but it seems unlikely.
Xenia love nitrate in my experience....eat it up at record pace. Duncan to an extent as well. Since increasing my nitrates slightly, both of mine have taken off considerably. They were starting to get starved. How big is the Dunc? How many heads?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back