All fish breathing super heavy at night after water change. Lost needle nose hawk

Kinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping this short and quick, I dosed some ropox before all of this, nitrates close to .1, phos was 100 ppm, alk low but it's always been low and stable so I doses the recommended amount after water change.

did big water change, tank is 60 gallons and I did a 20 gallon water change due to tank conditions closing all corals and fish not being happy.

after water change and dosing needed elements all parameter were and are stable. one thing is that we mixed ALL the doses together, calcium, alk, and magnesium.

already stressed put needle nose died, skimmer is going crazy, rest of the fish are breathing super heavy but still calm besides a tomini. shellfish and shrimp are fine.

currently changing the skinner asap and put some carbon into a sock to kill any toxins.

could mixing the doses have caused this because I actually under dosed to avoid this.

OP
OP
Kinko

Kinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
footage of heavy breathing. I should also mention that we found out that our ro filter was starting to get old and the ro I was using for the past week or 2 was 1ppm

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever test for ph? What fish do you have in there & how long have you had them?

OP
OP
Kinko

Kinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever test for ph? What fish do you have in there & how long have you had them?
ph was about 7.6, in our tanks ph has always been lower and bounce back 8.1 in the day

I have a
yellow tang, tomini tang, midas blenny, 2 wrasses, 2 clowns, a conch, and a needle nose. I've had them for almost over a year and some 2 years. tank is 4 years old

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ph was about 7.6, in our tanks ph has always been lower and bounce back 8.1 in the day

I have a
yellow tang, tomini tang, midas blenny, 2 wrasses, 2 clowns, a conch, and a needle nose. I've had them for almost over a year and some 2 years. tank is 4 years old
What’s a needle nose?

So you had no new fish. How about new coral or invert?

Dosing all those things quickly will upset your corals, but your fish should be fine as long as you have a functioning skimmer that aerate the water.

OP
OP
Kinko

Kinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a needle nose?

So you had no new fish. How about new coral or invert?

Dosing all those things quickly will upset your corals, but your fish should be fine as long as you have a functioning skimmer that aerate the water.
needle nose hawkfish, no new fish or coral/inverts. skimmer is running like crazy after my water change and dosing which I've never seen before and fish are just heavily breathing, most ate except the needle nose who died early into the night.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
needle nose hawkfish, no new fish or coral/inverts. skimmer is running like crazy after my water change and dosing which I've never seen before and fish are just heavily breathing, most ate except the needle nose who died early into the night.
Is the skimmer in the sump or in the display?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kinko

Kinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the skimmer in the sumo or in the display?
sump, I did change filter socks after the water change which my be why the skimmer is acting up since I throw my filter socks into a laundry machine

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert but with your RODI comment i would be hitting some prime or dechlorinator as a safety measure first. Then carbon into the highest flowing thing you can find, which you said you already did, in case this is a contamination. Sufficient oxygen exchange at the surface if your protein skimmer isn't running. Maybe it's going crazy because you just did something to cause a huge bacteria die off. If that's the case you might be about to get cloudy water and low oxygen environment, so assuming it's not an ammonia issue from something in the tank the additional oxygen should help. Double check some basic tests salinity etc make sure it's not something basic and if it were me personally I'd be looking to do a really really massive water change in case it got soap or something in it, once i ruled out that my new water is actually not the problem itself.

OP
OP
Kinko

Kinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert but with your RODI comment i would be hitting some prime or dechlorinator as a safety measure first. Then carbon into the highest flowing thing you can find, which you said you already did, in case this is a contamination. Sufficient oxygen exchange at the surface if your protein skimmer isn't running. Maybe it's going crazy because you just did something to cause a huge bacteria die off. If that's the case you might be about to get cloudy water and low oxygen environment, so assuming it's not an ammonia issue from something in the tank the additional oxygen should help. Double check some basic tests salinity etc make sure it's not something basic and if it were me personally I'd be looking to do a really really massive water change once i ruled out that my new water is actually not the problem itself.
The water was cloudy in the morning before said water change, tested ammonia to be safe and 0 thankfully but nitrates came out to almost 0-.07 and phosphate was also equally low at around .20 on our chart. I have some Dr times ready just in case and I plan on doing a full scale water change later again. it was only recently that the issue jumped up this bad so not sure if the ro is the issue but still definelty plan on addressing it asap and got my resin changed and making a new batch

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump, I did change filter socks after the water change which my be why the skimmer is acting up since I throw my filter socks into a laundry machine
What do you use to wash the socks, hot water and bleach?
Are you using liquid bleach and not the gel “no splash” type?
Perhaps the socks didn’t rinse out well enough or there’s some traces of soap/softener from the previous time the washer was used.

Take the socks out of the sump and add some dechlorinator see if that helps any.
Better yet, do as big of a water change as you can, add the dechlorinator without any socks and add some carbon

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back