Help randomly lost all 7 fish

Falcons070

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening, I have a 60g tank and all have all stable parameters except phostate is slight elevated. I had 2 clowns, cardinal, 1 baby yellow tang that eventually I was going to re home, six line, and a long nose hawk fish. The tank has been up and running for 5 months and the 2 clowns I had from a previous nano for 3 years. I work as a firefighter and came home from a 48 hour shift to find everyone has died. I triple tested my water and everything was stable.

Only thing I can think of is a recently added new blue legged hermits and did not quarantine them.

Any insight on what could have possibly happened? All inverts and corals are still alive

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing in hermits would likely not do anything unless they came from a heavily infected tank.
Any recent fish? Any chemicals that could have gotten in? Power outage?
Are inverts okay?

OP
OP
F

Falcons070

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing in hermits would likely not do anything unless they came from a heavily infected tank.
Are inverts okay?
Are inverts okay?
Thanks for the response, no power outage and no chemicals that I know of. All the inverts are doing well. I’m honestly so confused on how this could happen. I have good flow so o2 shouldn’t randomly become an issue

OP
OP
F

Falcons070

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, no power outage and no chemicals that I know of. All the inverts are doing well. I’m honestly so confused on how this could happen. I have good flow so o2 shouldn’t randomly become an issue
I did have an outbreak in Cyanobacteria and I kept the lights out for 2days and the day I came back all fish, were dead.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
medic.gif
@vetteguy53081

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have an outbreak in Cyanobacteria and I kept the lights out for 2days and the day I came back all fish, were dead.
Is the cyano alive or did it die off? It’s possible the massive die off of algae kickstarted either a drop in o2 or ammonia spike.

OP
OP
F

Falcons070

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the cyano alive or did it die off? It’s possible the massive die off of algae kickstarted either a drop in o2 or ammonia spike.
I did some research and doing the black out definitely did it. The massive die off of algae made the water toxic. I did a 60% water change and hopefully can get new fish soon. Thank you for your help

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research and doing the black out definitely did it. The massive die off of algae made the water toxic. I did a 60% water change and hopefully can get new fish soon. Thank you for your help
I did not even know this was a possibility. Thank you for sharing and very sorry for your loss!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry about that - I’ve had similar happen in one of my fw tanks. Thankfully I was there when fish started dying, but I still lost almost all of them.
To be safe, I’d still recommend a 60 day fallow period (in case of any disease issue) and qt all new fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back