All For One: Considerations Before Switching?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in switching to a 1-part solution like All For One for my dosing. Are there any specific considerations before making the switch?

My reef is an 80G Deep Blue mixed reef. Just starting to re-populate SPS after rehoming my Emperor Angel which decimated my previous stonies (I know, I know...). I'm currently dosing ESV 2-part + Mag, and run Brightwell Purit next to the overflow drain.

Testing levels tonight, I'm at:

Alk (Hanna): 9.8
Calcium (Hanna): 489
Mag (Salifert): 1300
Phosphate (Salifert): 0.8
Nitrate (Salifert): 4

I water change 10% every 2 weeks with Fritz Salt. I also understand that my PO4 and NO3 are quite high and will be taking steps the next week or so to get these in check (refreshing my refugium with new chaeto as a start, possible skimmer upgrade as it seems mine seems to have hit a wall with productivity).

I was previously preparing to switch over to BRS 2-part — have all the dry ingredients and am waiting for the last of the ESV to run out (probably 1 month's supply left) — when I learned about All For One, which honestly seems like a miracle product to me.

Also to consider, my next big investment in the tank will be control with GHL. Was planning on first adding the KH Director, and then expanding to Profilux and Ion Director (whichever order makes sense), but ultimately accomplishing this over the next 3-6 months. I would want the 4th, unused pump on the KH Director SA doser to be in charge of the dosing duties.

I'm assuming that before making the switch to get my Alk/Cal/Mag in acceptable range as well as the waste-related params. But, any advice and discussion would be well appreciated.

Thanks for any and all input!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was planning on first adding the KH Director, and then expanding to Profilux and Ion Director (whichever order makes sense), but ultimately accomplishing this over the next 3-6 months. I would want the 4th, unused pump on the KH Director SA doser to be in charge of the dosing duties.
The Alk does not change instantly when you dose all for reef. It changes over time as the bacteria in your tank break the product down.
This is why you figure out an amount that keeps your tank stable and dose that.
I’m not sure a kH Director would be needed or even helpful with All for reef. I just have it on a normal doser on a timer.

were you planning on dosing the all for reef multiple times a day based on your Alk level?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All For Reef appears to have a carbon dosing effect - (from the organisms breaking down the Formate.) I had to stop dosing my DIY NOPOX because the combination of the two brought my nitrates down to undetectable levels.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all for your points.

The Alk does not change instantly when you dose all for reef. It changes over time as the bacteria in your tank break the product down.

I was reading up on the process after posting as well and was a bit confused by this. Since there's a delay in the impact on dKH from the formate and biological processing, would it be wise to have some overlap in dosing 2 part (or only Alk from 2-part) to accommodate for the delay in measurement and minimize ALK/CAL drops over the short-medium term?

I’m not sure a kH Director would be needed or even helpful with All for reef. I just have it on a normal doser on a timer.

That was certainly a thought since All For Reef seems designed to be self-maintaining. The though for KH and ION Director was partially to ease the need for manual testing (my biggest pain point with the reef), if I ever get to a place where All For Reef ends up being cost prohibitive and switch back to a multi-part solution, I may keep Director on hand for automatic monitoring, but may end up adding it last to my control system now!

were you planning on dosing the all for reef multiple times a day based on your Alk level?

Since my levels right now are a bit high, I've stopped dosing to let them come down to target levels — a week ago Alk was at 11.6 and Calcium at 576, also switching from Red Sea Pro to Fritz gradually. When they hit 9.0, I'll restart my 2-part regimen, which was spread out across 4 doses per day. I would maintain a similar dosing schedule for All for Reef.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading up on the process after posting as well and was a bit confused by this. Since there's a delay in the impact on dKH from the formate and biological processing, would it be wise to have some overlap in dosing 2 part (or only Alk from 2-part) to accommodate for the delay in measurement and minimize ALK/CAL drops over the short-medium term?
Yes, overlap is good because you need to build up the bacteria in the tank that converts it. You don’t want to make the change suddenly. I would start with their recommended amount for your tank and slowly go up on the all for reef as needed over a few weeks (and down on the 2 part). Eventually your tank should find a balance.

I use it on both my nano and my 60 gallon cube and am really happy with it. I do the DIY method and mix my own components.
BRS and Tropic Marin posted a recipe on here somewhere.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, overlap is good because you need to build up the bacteria in the tank that converts it. You don’t want to make the change suddenly. I would start with their recommended amount for your tank and slowly go up on the all for reef as needed over a few weeks (and down on the 2 part). Eventually your tank should find a balance.

Seems like a plan. Thanks for your input!!

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more tidbit, if you make your own you can control the levels. Some have found their magnesium rising with AFO. If you make your own you'll not only save a lot of money but can control the amount of magnesium you add (and with ICP analysis the trace element amounts as well)

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One more tidbit, if you make your own you can control the levels. Some have found their magnesium rising with AFO. If you make your own you'll not only save a lot of money but can control the amount of magnesium you add (and with ICP analysis the trace element amounts as well)

Awesome to know! Was planning on buying the dry mixed pre-package on BRS, but great to see they're selling each component separately.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been suckling the AFR teet since February and even though it gets expensive with 30 ml a day ( and I don’t make it) I will never go back. It’s just waaaaay too easy. Big 3 rock solid and I mean it. TM is releasing there powdered version in the US soon and the will be cheeper.

Back