All for Reef and Kalwasser?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOes anyone dose these together? I dose a4r and is great for keeping my alk steady at 8 but my ph which was 8.1 for 7 months has dipped to 7.9 and i feel like that is too low. Was thinking of alternating the 2 on different days. Has anyone tried this with success?

Badboy GP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing a4r but want to add kalk
1. To raise ph from around 8.2 to around 8.3
2. To ease the need for a4r as corals will soon demand more..

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOes anyone dose these together? I dose a4r and is great for keeping my alk steady at 8 but my ph which was 8.1 for 7 months has dipped to 7.9 and i feel like that is too low. Was thinking of alternating the 2 on different days. Has anyone tried this with success?
Only problem I can see is that on the day you don’t add Kalkwasser the pH will dip, as aeration will normalize it to whatever it’s at now.

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you adjust your AFR down accordingly then dose kalk nightly?

I only use kalk and I dose significantly heavier at night for PH purposes. I also use a Co2 scrubber that turns on when ph drops to 8.0.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOes anyone dose these together? I dose a4r and is great for keeping my alk steady at 8 but my ph which was 8.1 for 7 months has dipped to 7.9 and i feel like that is too low. Was thinking of alternating the 2 on different days. Has anyone tried this with success
Low pH: Causes and Cures 'http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/'

I can't seem to get that relationship to work out perfect either.

I might dose a little Kalk every day with a4r !

Let us know !

Probably happens !

OP
OP
Seansea

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem I can see is that on the day you don’t add Kalkwasser the pH will dip, as aeration will normalize it to whatever it’s at now.
Was thinkin this would be a problem as well.
Could you adjust your AFR down accordingly then dose kalk nightly?

I only use kalk and I dose significantly heavier at night for PH purposes. I also use a Co2 scrubber that turns on when ph drops to 8.0.
This actually not a bad idea but i hand dose right now.
Low pH: Causes and Cures 'http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/'

I can't seem to get that relationship to work out perfect either.

I might dose a little Kalk every day with a4r !

Let us know !

Probably happens !
Ill check that article out. Ty

I dose afr I think 40 ml a day and right now 5tbs of kalk in the ato
My ph is always like 8.2+
Does the kalk jack your pump up?

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be doing this but my base will be Kalkwasser on a small continuous dosing pump and when the need arises I’ll put AFR on its own normal doser. I want Kalk as the base of my system for as long as I can and even after I’ll have fully saturated Kalk being doses continually and any other macros will be added as normal.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be doing this but my base will be Kalkwasser on a small continuous dosing pump and when the need arises I’ll put AFR on its own normal doser. I want Kalk as the base of my system for as long as I can and even after I’ll have fully saturated Kalk being doses continually and any other macros will be added as normal.
Nice. I dose Kalk up to my PH limit about 8.4. IMO dosing Kalk as a base is good and may take care of most if not all of the maintenance dosing you need. Eventually, I think something will have to be dosed to adjust even a balanced additive like Kalk. Here is a little information I found useful;

'https://seachem.com/downloads/articles/The-Contrarian-Reef.pdf'

Probably happens !

OP
OP
Seansea

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I dose Kalk up to my PH limit about 8.4. IMO dosing Kalk as a base is good and may take care of most if not all of the maintenance dosing you need. Eventually, I think something will have to be dosed to adjust even a balanced additive like Kalk. Here is a little information I found useful;

Probably happens !

Problem for me is kalk doesnt adress mag and trace elements. With alot of soft corals and algae scrubber trace elements and mag get chewed up pretty bad. My icp tests come back low on all my traces and my mag depletes fast as well. I have to dose AFR plus one drop of captivate8 trace every day as well to try to keep up. On the other hand the ph benefits of kalk are tremendous. A combo of both seems to be the way

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dosed carbo calcium (all for reef without the traces) and kalkwasser. It worked fine. I run the moonshiners method and don’t do water changes. Eventually my calcium got too high, so I switched to 2 part and kalkwasser.

I’d probably still be using carbo calcium if I did water changes. My sps tank is starting to consume so much alk and calcium, I’m thinking about dosing carbo calcium along with the kalkwasser and 2 part just for redundancy.

The kalkwasser is dosed continuously with a versa. The amount dosed is slightly less than the evaporation rate. I have a small ATO to make up the difference.

Last edited:

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem for me is kalk doesnt adress mag and trace elements. With alot of soft corals and algae scrubber trace elements and mag get chewed up pretty bad. My icp tests come back low on all my traces and my mag depletes fast as well. I have to dose AFR plus one drop of captivate8 trace every day as well to try to keep up. On the other hand the ph benefits of kalk are tremendous. A combo of both seems to be the way
Are you trying to say a4r precipitates Mag ? Or, do you have some Mag eating animals or coral :eek:

LOL

Probably happens !

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Probably happens !
Ill do water changes with NSW at 10% per week on this new system and as much as possible try to keep NSW parameters. Kalk should help me do this and as for trace NSW should be enough for a long while and when A4R comes in then it has trace too.

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kalkwasser and magnesium​

'https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/kalkwasser-and-magnesium.722833/'

I dose Mag 10-ml of Brightwell Mag...-P stock solution every other day; about 1.25 ppm ?

I haven't checked Mag; I use IO salt mix; it will take a while to raise Mag if I'm dosing too much.

I think the article stated 10-to-1 Calcium to Magnesium use.

I do need a place out of the display to grow algae :cool:

Probably happens !

OP
OP
Seansea

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you trying to say a4r precipitates Mag ? Or, do you have some Mag eating animals or coral :eek:

LOL

Probably happens !
No precipitation. Anything that uses chloryphyll will use up magnesium. Thinks like mushrooms zoas and gsp and my algae scrubber dont use much in alk and calcium but use up mag more. So hence my mag will go down a little faster. A4R doesnt keep up with all of it so still have to use the captiiv8 trace elements and mag supp.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back