All-for-reef / Calcium Formate Automated Dosing

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus @Randy Holmes-Farley

I know this topic has been discussed before and automated dosing based on Alkalinity is not recommended for AFR / Calcium Formate. However, I would like to re-explore the viability of this.

Before jumping into how we can maybe do this, can you answer a couple of questions?
  1. When we think of Alkalinity stability, does AFR / Calcium Formate impact this? That is to say, if I add a lot of AFR / Calcium Formate at once, even though I can't read it via Alkalinity testing, I've caused a large swing that could affect my livestock? Or is it considered "bound" and has little to no impact until taken up or converted to Alk?
  2. Assuming a mature system, does the Alkalinity from AFR / Calcium Formate become measurable in 24hr? If not, how long?
  3. I understand that the corals can directly take up AFR / Calcium Formate. Do we know if something similar happens in our oceans?
Thanks in advance

Mark

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus @Randy Holmes-Farley

I know this topic has been discussed before and automated dosing based on Alkalinity is not recommended for AFR / Calcium Formate. However, I would like to re-explore the viability of this.

Before jumping into how we can maybe do this, can you answer a couple of questions?
  1. When we think of Alkalinity stability, does AFR / Calcium Formate impact this? That is to say, if I add a lot of AFR / Calcium Formate at once, even though I can't read it via Alkalinity testing, I've caused a large swing that could affect my livestock? Or is it considered "bound" and has little to no impact until taken up or converted to Alk?
  2. Assuming a mature system, does the Alkalinity from AFR / Calcium Formate become measurable in 24hr? If not, how long?
  3. I understand that the corals can directly take up AFR / Calcium Formate. Do we know if something similar happens in our oceans?
Thanks in advance

Mark
Hi Mark,

I will do my best to answer these questions:

This is an answer that might result in some debate. From the research that we have done, then answer seems to be that "most" of the excess alkalinity, that would be added with large calcium formate additions, would not cause an immediate large alkalinity swing that would effect animals. it isn't technically "bound", but it also isn't "converted" to the alkalinity that we would consider can make that kind of impact on the animals. Exactly how long it will stay that way is not known definitely yet.

We are also not sure of this time frame exactly. There is still a lot to be learned about the exact path, mechanism and time frame, of the formate conversion. That subject is the focus of a lot of research going on right now. This is a big part of the reason that I personally prefer using Ca as the regulating parameter rather than the alkalinity.

Yes, this is a very natural process that is going on in the ocean all the time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back