All For Reef to kalk conversion?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if asked before as I have not seen it.

I currently dose all for reef and have for quite some time with great results. I’m thinking I’d like to switch to kalk as the main additive and use all for reef as a backup or secondary additive if or when needed.

Short of stopping the AFR dosage and testing to see how much the the tank uses of calcium and alkalinity, does anyone know how one would transition correctly over to kalk?

I currently use 65ml per day of AFR and could probably bump it up a little as I am seeing my test result numbers slowly decreasing from where I maintain them.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFR is 6,000 dKH and saturated limewater (kalkwasser) at 25 deg C is about 114 dKH, so AFR is 53 times as potent as saturated limewater.
Thank you for the response Randy,
So if I wanted to switch over to kalk, I could start with approximately 3,445 ml a day or in a nutshell, a little less than a gallon per day of kalk… is that correct?

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see any issues just stopping AFR and switching to kalk? I have never used it before and just do not want to disrupt the tank.

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if asked before as I have not seen it.

I currently dose all for reef and have for quite some time with great results. I’m thinking I’d like to switch to kalk as the main additive and use all for reef as a backup or secondary additive if or when needed.

Short of stopping the AFR dosage and testing to see how much the the tank uses of calcium and alkalinity, does anyone know how one would transition correctly over to kalk?

I currently use 65ml per day of AFR and could probably bump it up a little as I am seeing my test result numbers slowly decreasing from where I maintain them.
Can I ask why you are moving away from all for reef? I use it is why I am asking

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why you are moving away from all for reef? I use it is why I am asking
The price is one reason. To my understanding kalkwasser is super cheap in comparison.

Also, the pH boost.
And quite honestly, I feel like I should have much more growth than I do. My tank is full of life and I call that a success, but my friend that uses kalkwasser has much better growth than I do. Also, I participate in a couple of coral grow out contests, and although mine are doing well and are showing growth, I have nowhere near the growth rate that some others do over the year.

I’m thinking I’d like to see if it is all it’s cracked up to be. Having said that, I am extremely pleased with all for reef and the ease of using it and what I would like to do is have kalk as my primary additive, and once it can do no more use AFR as a top off.

Edit. The tank is 180 gallons and a year old so my AFR consumption is just going to go up.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see any issues just stopping AFR and switching to kalk? I have never used it before and just do not want to disrupt the tank.
Just the lack of trace elements in kalk vs all for reef.. both is a good combo but takes some playing to get dosing correct.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price is one reason. To my understanding kalkwasser is super cheap in comparison.

What version of the product are you using (TM AFR)? Pre-made liquid or powder? Also how much are you dosing a day? I am currently dosing 80 ml/day and went through this exercise to get yearly cost using the 1600 g powder container.

Also, the pH boost.
And quite honestly, I feel like I should have much more growth than I do. My tank is full of life and I call that a success, but my friend that uses kalkwasser has much better growth than I do. Also, I participate in a couple of coral grow out contests, and although mine are doing well and are showing growth, I have nowhere near the growth rate that some others do over the year.

There is more going on here with regards to growth rate than product(s) used. With that in mind if you want to try something different by all means. Kalkwasser can raise pH. For many Kalkwasser is the only product used.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH rise will likely increase alk demand somewhat and so you may need more than that conversion, but its a fine place to start.

A trace element supplement might be useful and that would be another additive.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What version of the product are you using (TM AFR)? Pre-made liquid or powder? Also how much are you dosing a day? I am currently dosing 80 ml/day and went through this exercise to get yearly cost using the 1600 g powder container.

There is more going on here with regards to growth rate than product(s) used. With that in mind if you want to try something different by all means. Kalkwasser can raise pH. For many Kalkwasser is the only product used.
I use the powder. I currently am dosing 65 ML a day but I need to increase the dosage and that is usually about 3 to 5 ml per adjustment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is cheaper to use than any other 2 part and adds needed trace elements that most 2 part don't have.

Just saying.
Don’t get me wrong I love AFR. However, for the year and a half that I’ve been using it I still run low on several trace elements if you believe the ICP results.
I do believe that a better pH may produce better results in the tank, although I cannot complain too much because my tank currently averages a high of about 8.25. But as someone who has been in the hobby, for only a little over three years I feel like it’s something, I may or may not like, but it is worth trying since so many people swear by it.
As far as cost goes, I would obviously have to sit down and figure the math, but I feel like using limewater, or kalk would be cheaper

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping reef tanks 40+ years, so what would I know, but I run saturated limewater at night to maintain pH and dose AFR over my 10 hour photoperiod.

The trace elements in AFT are not meant to keep up with the needs of your reef. They are a supplement but can't be a total replenishment because each reef has different demands.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is cheaper to use than any other 2 part and adds needed trace elements that most 2 part don't have.

Just saying.

Just not true, IMO.

Show the the cheapest place to buy AFR powder and I'll compare it to some two part additives.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@mrpontiac80 When I cold turkey transitioned from AFR to ESV B-Ionic, my tank had a mini bleaching event within 2-3 days. I stayed course, and the tank recovered within 1-2 weeks. I had no issues transitioning from ESV B-Ionic to DIY 3-part balling methods. This makes me think that abruptly stopping AFR messes with the bacteria balance in our tank. It makes some sense, considering that AFR is metabolized by bacteria. I suggest making the transition to Kalkwasser gradually over a week or two.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back