All For Reef Dosing

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all

I have been on the journey of establishing my tank, it is around 8 months old now. I have it stocked with acans, mushrooms, leather tree, bowerbanki, zoas and a ricordea. My parameters, as a newer tank, have been fluctuating as expected. My corals have now started becoming happy and using alk, calcium, magnesium. I have chose Tropic Marin’s All For Reef simply for the simplicity of one dosing pump.

I have not yet dosed alk because I was fighting high alk for a while (peaked at 14.3) but since then, my alk has dropped to a low of 8.3dkh. I would prefer my alk to stay at the 8.5-8.6dkh range. I know this product has an alk supplement— I dosed 6ml at 8.3dkh (40 gallon tank) and my alk jumped to 8.9DKH. I was wondering if I should wait for my alk to drop even more before I dose again so I can slowly work up the alk to my desired, then keep and monitor that dose amount. What would be the best suggestion or course of action?

IMG_2776.png IMG_2777.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not need to dose alk separately from the all for reef unless you only need to adjust it. The downside of all for reef is you can't control numbers independently compared to dosing individual elements. 8.9KH is not high so it shouldn't be something to be stressed about. I would adjust the dosage til it stops going up and down frequently.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS I'd be concerned about 0ppm phosphate and possibly the 50ppm nitrate (depending on the test kit for phosphate)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above Tropic Marin recommends that before you start dosing All For Reef that you get the parameters/chemistry to your desired level. Then start dosing and make small adjustments to the daily amount using their guidelines below. TM AFR Alk may take hours to a day or two before showing the bump.

1694107180562.png

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not need to dose alk separately from the all for reef unless you only need to adjust it. The downside of all for reef is you can't control numbers independently compared to dosing individual elements. 8.9KH is not high so it shouldn't be something to be stressed about. I would adjust the dosage til it stops going up and down frequently.
Should I wait for my alk to drop before I try to redose?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want it to be at? You have to have a baseline. My baseline was 8.5. I tested daily and found it dropped .2 per day. I started with a dose of 1.25ml and it was actually perfect. If I test at the same time every day I am at the desired 8.5. In your case, if you want to maintain 8.3, obviously 6ml was way too much. So let it fall to 8.3 and try a much smaller dose like 1.25 and recheck.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id wait until alk is 8.5 or less before resuming afr.
You want to find the amount of afr where alk stays constant, keeping up with demand. I just started afr a couple months ago.
1. Start with 6 ml
2. Dose for 3 days
3. Check alk and calcium using reliable kits
4. Adjust dose up 10% if alk is low, say 7.5, down if alk rising
5. Goto 2

If alk goes below 7, throw in a pinch, 1 teaspoon, of baking soda to raise it. Use the baking soda to raise the alk toward target; adjust dose to steady it to match demand.

After alk is steady, check calcium and adjust up if low with a calcium supplement weekly.
You can also adjust dose (steps 1 to 5 above) based on calcium level, then check alk after.
You may find your dosing needs low with a newer tank.

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want it to be at? You have to have a baseline. My baseline was 8.5. I tested daily and found it dropped .2 per day. I started with a dose of 1.25ml and it was actually perfect. If I test at the same time every day I am at the desired 8.5. In your case, if you want to maintain 8.3, obviously 6ml was way too much. So let it fall to 8.3 and try a much smaller dose like 1.25 and recheck.
Thank you for your knowledge. I would like to be at 8.5 as well, I dosed at 8.3 and it shot up to the 8.9 as listed. Currently waiting on dkh to fall. Should I wait until it’s at 8.5 beofre I dose, or a little lower?

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your knowledge. I would like to be at 8.5 as well, I dosed at 8.3 and it shot up to the 8.9 as listed. Currently waiting on dkh to fall. Should I wait until it’s at 8.5 beofre I dose, or a little lower?

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id wait until alk is 8.5 or less before resuming afr.
You want to find the amount of afr where alk stays constant, keeping up with demand. I just started afr a couple months ago.
1. Start with 6 ml
2. Dose for 3 days
3. Check alk and calcium using reliable kits
4. Adjust dose up 10% if alk is low, say 7.5, down if alk rising
5. Goto 2

If alk goes below 7, throw in a pinch, 1 teaspoon, of baking soda to raise it. Use the baking soda to raise the alk toward target; adjust dose to steady it to match demand.

After alk is steady, check calcium and adjust up if low with a calcium supplement weekly.
You can also adjust dose (steps 1 to 5 above) based on calcium level, then check alk after.
You may find your dosing needs low with a newer tank.
Thank you! I dosed initially 6ml when my alk was 8.3, shot it up to 8.9

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I dosed initially 6ml when my alk was 8.3, shot it up to 8.9
Reduce it to 4ml, then proceed as outlined above.
Do not adjust daily. What test kit for alk, some test +/_ 0.3 dkh.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what your daily consumption is? If yes, just try to essentially counter the drop with AFR. If no, then monitor and see how much it drops daily. You can start AFR again once you get down to 8.5, no reason to go lower if that's where you want it. Be sure to test around the same time every day

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the level is fine but if you want to you can let it drop a little since everything else could take a drop without being an issue

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what your daily consumption is? If yes, just try to essentially counter the drop with AFR. If no, then monitor and see how much it drops daily. You can start AFR again once you get down to 8.5, no reason to go lower if that's where you want it. Be sure to test around the same time every day
I’m not certain. I have my dkh params listed, fluctuates a little day by day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not certain. I have my dkh params listed, fluctuates a little day by day.

I'd just determine a dose by trial and error that keeps alk about where you want it. Exact alk values are not critical.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back