All for Reef for Softie dominant tank with low ca mg uptake?

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I had some major issues with my tank over the past few months and lost a lot of corals due to salinity, alk and nutrients swinging like crazy. I have everything leveled out now and restocked the tank with mainly zoas, a toadstool, some euphylia and a surviving lepto. My alk is consistently dropping by 1 dkh over 5-6 days but ca and mg are dropping maybe 10-15ppm in the same time. I have a big bottle of all for reef but I assume it will peg my ca and I'm not sure if I want to do that.

I dose Reef Energy AB+ sparingly and do weekly water changes. A skimmer is coming in the mail this week and I'm hoping to dial back my water changes and feed/dose heavier. I guess I'm not sure if All for reef will do anything more than regulate alk for me. Any help would be appreciated.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AFR will be great. Go off calcium instead of alkalinity. Lou from Tropic Marin has recommended this for some setups

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all for reef on my 100 total gallon system. all you need is 1 doser ( I dose 12 small doses a day via a Kamoer bluetooth doser) and I go off a hanna alk checker,my alk 8.4-8.5 and calcium 420-430 are always super steady at these numbers.

You will need to test magnesium maybe 1 time a month to raise it back up to the level you want. I test calcium once a month and my levels are always solid.

OP
OP
J

Jcon82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all for reef on my 100 total gallon system. all you need is 1 doser ( I dose 12 small doses a day via a Kamoer bluetooth doser) and I go off a hanna alk checker,my alk 8.4-8.5 and calcium 420-430 are always super steady at these numbers.

You will need to test magnesium maybe 1 time a month to raise it back up to the level you want. I test calcium once a month and my levels are always solid.
my alk is currently lower (7.7) and and calcium is 485. I'd like to lower ca a bit more since its nearly off the charts for my test kit. But if I wait for it to be consumed more my alk may dip into the 6's and I dont really want that.

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the dosage recommendations for calcium? all instructions I find are for alk.Get
AFR is a pre mixed power or liquid. I would make sure you magnesium is 1300-1400 first. If you dose 2 part I would dose just alk until it rises to 8.4 and 8.5. Then you can start all for reef. Your calcium will come down as your alk comes up. Even if you dose calcium as the alk rises the calcium will come down.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back