All For Reef Journey!!

reefingreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It has been time to start dosing! I’ve been hesitant to start dosing just simply of having a fear of messing up. After some research I started dosing AFR, I’m on my 4th week. Here is my journey so far….

I started at a mere 4.6 DkH after a couple of weeks I’m at a 6.6 DkH! Planning on bringing it up to a solid 8.0 DkH so I have decent error margin. I want to keep my tank at a 80-90% SPS. I feel like I’m dosing too much AFR but DkH has not spiked or dropped so I think I’m doing ok so far. Let me know what You think!

75g mixed reef (80% sps, 20% softies), 30g sump, recirculating CO2 Scrubber (8.0-8.4ph), radion xr30 pro (12hr light cycle), 11 hour refugium light cycle.

IMG_8235.jpeg IMG_8236.jpeg IMG_8237.jpeg IMG_8238.jpeg IMG_8241.jpeg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the AFR club. Just a quick FYI but Tropic Marin recommends getting your chemistry to the desired levels before starting AFR dosing. You probably already know this but if not.

OP
OP
R

reefingreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the AFR club. Just a quick FYI but Tropic Marin recommends getting your chemistry to the desired levels before starting AFR dosing. You probably already know this but if not.
I did see a thread on here on week 3 referring to that, A little too late. Would you recommend to stop the AFR dose and bring levels to where I want them then dose AFR again?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see a thread on here on week 3 referring to that, A little too late. Would you recommend to stop the AFR dose and bring levels to where I want them then dose AFR again?
Yes. That is what I did after starting this tank with a bad salt batch and a failed really old Hannah alk tester. I dosed 2 part to get to the levels I wanted and started dosing afr after. I am still dialing in my afr dose currently at 23ml/day on 120ish gallons the alk is slowly climbing so probably could back off a little more but calc seems stable at current dose but thats with api so who knows. I need a couple more Hannahs in my life. Did a salifert mag dont know if it was me or the test, all over the board but within acceptable levels. Would like a better mag test as I'd like to keep it above 1400. I have heard lps like higher mag. Dont know how true that is. Mostly lps and zoas here.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been time to start dosing! I’ve been hesitant to start dosing just simply of having a fear of messing up. After some research I started dosing AFR, I’m on my 4th week. Here is my journey so far….

I started at a mere 4.6 DkH after a couple of weeks I’m at a 6.6 DkH! Planning on bringing it up to a solid 8.0 DkH so I have decent error margin. I want to keep my tank at a 80-90% SPS. I feel like I’m dosing too much AFR but DkH has not spiked or dropped so I think I’m doing ok so far. Let me know what You think!

75g mixed reef (80% sps, 20% softies), 30g sump, recirculating CO2 Scrubber (8.0-8.4ph), radion xr30 pro (12hr light cycle), 11 hour refugium light cycle.

IMG_8235.jpeg IMG_8236.jpeg IMG_8237.jpeg IMG_8238.jpeg IMG_8241.jpeg
You shouldn't use AFR to correct your levels as it could result in overdoses of other elements/traces.

Adjust Alk using Baking Soda over a few days is the easiest way and then make sure Ca is in the ballpark before starting AFR.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First, I want to say that you didn't do anything wrong. Or that I was implying. Apologies if I came across that way. I just was not sure if you are aware is all. Instructions below for my reference.

Would I stop? I probably would, yes. Not because you are doing something wrong but rather it will take a while to get it to the numbers you want. Alk has a delay in test results due to how the product works. Thus Tropic Marin recommending using a product to get it to your desired levels. Then start dosing AFR.

In my use case I switched over from ESV 2 part (a good product btw) to AFR so I was able to adjust using either ESV 2 part product. I'm not sure if you have similar available to bump. On the other hand if the tank looks fine and you are in no hurry you could continue on as you are. Just go slow.

OP
OP
R

reefingreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First, I want to say that you didn't do anything wrong. Or that I was implying. Apologies if I came across that way. I just was not sure if you are aware is all. Instructions below for my reference.

Would I stop? I probably would, yes. Not because you are doing something wrong but rather it will take a while to get it to the numbers you want. Alk has a delay in test results due to how the product works. Thus Tropic Marin recommending using a product to get it to your desired levels. Then start dosing AFR.

In my use case I switched over from ESV 2 part (a good product btw) to AFR so I was able to adjust using either ESV 2 part product. I'm not sure if you have similar available to bump. On the other hand if the tank looks fine and you are in no hurry you could continue on as you are. Just go slow.

Oh not offended at all! I’m all about constructive criticism! And I like learning about the hobby and dosing is a whole new side of the hobby for me.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tested my levels and they all check out beside ALK. cal is 450… mg is a bit low at 1380 alk is at 6.6 DkH
Add a tablespoon of baking soda to raise alk in your tank 0.3 to 0.4 dkh, my tank + sump is also100g.
Stay the course with your afr at 25 ml per day, since 30 or 40 raises your levels and you want them steady.
Check alk in 2 hours for baking soda effect, then again in 2 or 3 days to see alk trend from afr.
With afr you need to massage either alk or calcium every other week or so.
I add baking soda for alk and whatever calcium is at hand.
for my tank, i dose to keep calcium steady and also dose some alk (NaOH) separately.
Use the alk (or calcium) trend to adjust the afr dose, but use the other stuff to adjust to your target.

For example, after baking soda today the alk is 7dkh. 2 days from now it is 6.8. Adjust the afr to say 28 ml and add another table spoon of baking soda, rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afr takes 2 or 3 days to process alk, so testing and adjusting every day is not necessary or best.
NO lag time with calcium, which is why tm says adjust dose based on calcium.

OP
OP
R

reefingreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Add a tablespoon of baking soda to raise alk in your tank 0.3 to 0.4 dkh, my tank + sump is also100g.
Stay the course with your afr at 25 ml per day, since 30 or 40 raises your levels and you want them steady.
Check alk in 2 hours for baking soda effect, then again in 2 or 3 days to see alk trend from afr.
With afr you need to massage either alk or calcium every other week or so.
I add baking soda for alk and whatever calcium is at hand.
for my tank, i dose to keep calcium steady and also dose some alk (NaOH) separately.
Use the alk (or calcium) trend to adjust the afr dose, but use the other stuff to adjust to your target.

For example, after baking soda today the alk is 7dkh. 2 days from now it is 6.8. Adjust the afr to say 28 ml and add another table spoon of baking soda, rinse and repeat.
Ok I’ll give this a try. After I get my Alk levels to where I want them I’ll start my AFR dose at 25mL, then check the alk trend every 2 days and adjust accordingly! Thank you!!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll give this a try. After I get my Alk levels to where I want them I’ll start my AFR dose at 25mL, then check the alk trend every 2 days and adjust accordingly! Thank you!!
Keep dosing the afr daily, dont raise alk more than 0.5 dkh/day

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%

Back