All For Reef Or All-For-Reef Mix?

For tanks over 100G (where you use 30 ml or more Alk Media) what do you use? Share your experience

• All-For-Reef pre-mixed liquid (costly stuff)

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • All-For-Reef pre-mixed powder mix 800 gram

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • All-For-Reef pre-mixed powder mix 1600 gram

Votes: 48 60.8%
  • AFR Liquid today but contemplating switching to AFR power mix completely

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • AFR Liquid today but contemplating switching to part AFR powder mix and part continue pre-mix liquid

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind sharing what magnetic stirrer do you use?

This is what I found on Amazon:

Would love to know the stirrer make/ model, that you use.

I am not the one you asked but. That is the one I use along with glass beakers. Simple and inexpensive.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gal SPS reef and dose about 170ml / day and run Kalk on my ATO. It's a bit expensive and I'd like to dose more kalk to provide a "baseline" and then reduce my AFR by half or so. I used to run a CARX which was great but it just required too much adjusting and extra equipment. I switched to the GHL profilux and KH director and now that I only use a single solution (AFR), the 4-head doser basically does everything for me. And I can control it all remotely which is very helpful. I don't both testing CA or MG except for when I send in ICP tests. If you do need to increase 1 parameter but not others, you will need to have the individual components on hand (ALK, CA, MG, etc.). The AFR mix seems to do a great job. My tank looks better than when I was running a CARX.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a 300 gal SPS reef and dose about 170ml / day and run Kalk on my ATO. It's a bit expensive and I'd like to dose more kalk to provide a "baseline" and then reduce my AFR by half or so. I used to run a CARX which was great but it just required too much adjusting and extra equipment. I switched to the GHL profilux and KH director and now that I only use a single solution (AFR), the 4-head doser basically does everything for me. And I can control it all remotely which is very helpful. I don't both testing CA or MG except for when I send in ICP tests. If you do need to increase 1 parameter but not others, you will need to have the individual components on hand (ALK, CA, MG, etc.). The AFR mix seems to do a great job. My tank looks better than when I was running a CARX.

Do you use the AFR pre-mixed liquid or AFR powder and make liquid yourself?

How long have you been using the stuff?

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use the AFR pre-mixed liquid or AFR powder and make liquid yourself?

How long have you been using the stuff?

Oh gosh, definitely the powder! I'd be flat broke if I used the pre-mixed. :0)

I have been using AFR for almost a year. While there are a couple other factors involved, my corals have never looked so good. My change in equipment also resulted in higher pH so that has helped. And my nutrients have gone down quite a bit. Still have some work to do but it's looking good. I do recommend AFR.

Vladthelarge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the AFR mix for the last 9 months with great success. I use one of the BRS jugs, mix up a new batch at a ratio of 18 scopes to 1800 ml of RODI, put the cap on it, and store it in my sump room. TBH, scoping the powder into the small opening of the jug is a bit of pain so I'm looking for a way to mix by weight and pour it into the jug for storage.

I use about 40-50ml via an auto doser so that jug lasts me a long time. I had one jug mix that was causing alk swings and I chalk that up to me miss-mixing it that one time. The next batch from the same source kept levvels rock solid.

Dolphis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using AFR on my 165g total volume system. Got a small bottle of the liquid form when it first came out to test it on my system. After that, I just bought the larger powder mix, since it’s more cost effective.

I use a small bucket with RODI and mix it using a small power head. I leave it mixing while doing other things, since there’s no worry of over-mixing.

I mix 6000ml batches, store 5000ml of that in a large jug and the remaining 1000ml in a measuring bottle.

I dispense 40ml through out the day via a dosing pump for my 165g and use the measuring bottle to manually dispense 10ml a day for smaller nano.

I definitely enjoy using AFR, it’s so easy to use and does a great job keeping my corals.
I will say, that I recent learned that because of the type of calcium that’s used in AFR, it takes a while for the solution to process in the tank and so any changes aren’t immediate, like with kalk.
Not that it’s a bad thing, but something to keep in mind when dialing in the dosage

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that ever since I started dosing it combined with jalk a d every now and thwn feeding my corals; all of my corals have seen an explosion of growth. Coloration seems to have improved. Or stayed about the same. Certain ones look better than others and that may be due to feeding them

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I bought the AFR powder and a good Magnetic Stirrer (https://a.co/d/0pPiKNl)

I prepared 600 ml per instructions and mixed in a glass beaker and left in glass beaker for 6 weeks ... there was this precipitation. It was filament like and I could pull that out using syringe...

Any thoughts from experts or @TropicMarine
1. what precipitated?
2. How does that alter theremaining liquid mix?
3. Is the powder mix still advisabl3, knowing it precipitates?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the AFR powder and a good Magnetic Stirrer (https://a.co/d/0pPiKNl)

I prepared 600 ml per instructions and mixed in a glass beaker and left in glass beaker for 6 weeks ... there was this precipitation. It was filament like and I could pull that out using syringe...

Any thoughts from experts or @TropicMarine
1. what precipitated?
2. How does that alter theremaining liquid mix?
3. Is the powder mix still advisabl3, knowing it precipitates?

Bacterial growth. It is still usable. I mix 1500 ml and it last me about 6 weeks. It will have some bacteria starting to grow. Where did you have the beaker sitting for 6 weeks. Lots of stuff could have settled in it.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It was on a counter with cover, though not airtight

I have rhe the filaments and the liquid mix both still with me ... can the mix be " tested" and what should the reads be?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was on a counter with cover, though not airtight

I have rhe the filaments and the liquid mix both still with me ... can the mix be " tested" and what should the reads be?
Tropic Marin will have to answer that one. I know of no way to test it.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the powder and found if I mix it with warm water and then throw a small pump in the container for a couple of hours it’s good to go.

Previously used room temp RODI and tried to manually stir or shake the container and that didn’t work well. Had build up in the dosing container.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the powder and found if I mix it with warm water and then throw a small pump in the container for a couple of hours it’s good to go.

Previously used room temp RODI and tried to manually stir or shake the container and that didn’t work well. Had build up in the dosing container.
Warm water and magnetic stirrer works well

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I use the powder at half concentration and double volume dosed. Keep it in a mini fridge, so I do this to avoid precipitation, and so far so good.
1. I used Magnetic stirrer
2. Used 2x RO water (& will doze 2x mix)
3. I can use mini fridge ...

Questions
A. Did you not see bacteria build up?
B. How long do you keep the mix you make?
C. Why the pre-mixed liquid does not have bacteria buildup (never saw any filaments and i store for over 8 months in same place) ?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I used Magnetic stirrer
2. Used 2x RO water (& will doze 2x mix)
3. I can use mini fridge ...

Questions
C. Why the pre-mixed liquid does not have bacteria buildup (never saw any filaments and i store for over 8 months in same place) ?
I've never noticed bacteria buildup, but that's not why mine is refrigerated. Mine is in the fridge because that's where my doser is :)
Liquid food dosing (AFR is on left doser):
PXL_20230419_215554229.jpg
PXL_20230420_001519957.jpg
PXL_20230510_181930235.jpg
PXL_20230510_181901923.jpg

Mine lasts a few weeks per little plastic tub. Never seen bacteria grow in it. I use fresh RODI when mixing it in those little plastic tubs and a clean stir bar.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions

You are worrying about something that isn't a issue. This is a common question on forums. In fact Lou/Ryan just talked about this yesterday. Video below.

25 minute marker all for reef product talk starts. 36 minute marker talks about dissolved solution. My experience after using the DIY component recipe and now the powder is that there is no fall off or precipitation. I mix up 3600 ml batches and it lasts between 4 to 5 weeks. I place the solution under my display tank near the sump. I dose 90 ml/day.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wow, great setup!

Any details you share regarding the automated feeder?

What is the feeder, what setup you did, what food you use for the feeder?

Compare this frozen food feeder to pellet feeder?

I have 3 pellet feeder but do not use them coz of feer of over dumping and impact to water quality and fish due to nutrient dense pellets.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an answer to bacteria growth. I have never had precipitation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230721_080253_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230721_080253_Chrome.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 27

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to guess that those who have the mix "precipitate" are not using the correct amount of water, or they are using too much powder, making the concentration too high for the water, so they get "precipitation". I put precipitation in quotes, because it most likely not precip and just undissolved all for reef, Precipitation would mean it was in solution and then pulled out of solution by something.

If you're worried about this happening, you could use more water when mixing, you'll just have to increase the dose volume to get the same amount of alk delivered. I'm not sure what exactly AFR powder is, as it does not say on the BRS or Tropic Marin site, I'm guessing a calcium formate mix or hydroxide of some kind.

Even if you're dosing AFR, you still need to keep a regular alk/ca/mg mix on hand. Check out the Tropic Marin site. They have a chart listed at the bottom of what you should dose given certain situations. I'm guessing AFR works in ways similar to kalkwasser, where it is good at maintaining chemistry, but not so good for general adjustments.

If you like AFR, and are happy with the liquid but don't like the price, then go for the powder and try it out.
Not sure it’s necessarily tied to mixing as, per TM recommendation, I run mine through my Neptune ATO to avoid this exact issue, which was happening prior to this change.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back