All for reef powder, high dkh.

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a nuvo 20 and started to dose the all for reef powder that I have to mix into a solution. Before dosing my ph would be around 7.8 and since dosing it’s up to 8.1-8.2 so I know things are working. I decided to test dkh, Mg and Ca and was surprised when my dkh was 11.3. Mg was 1280 and Ca was 480. For the ones that use this stuff, should I dose less every day to lower dkh? I still need to get my Mg up. Right now I’m only dosing 5ml a day. I didn’t dose this to raise ph, I was trying to raise alk and keep things stable. I just added info on ph incase it was relevant for any assistance

Last edited:

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
were you dosing to raise your alk or your ph? this product is to replace regular 2 part dosing which is calc and alk and trace elements . so if your tank doesnt have consumption of those 2 , then you shouldnt be using this yet

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for a ph boost I'd go the kalkwasser route paired with a dosing pump. Picking up a mag supplement isn't the end of the world either. I would back off the dosing and buy a mag supplement. In the beginning you don't need much more than water changes. Witch would also help your mag.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be testing alk and adjust dosage accordingly. Stop chasing pH number.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Products that provide alk, calcium and magnesium are great if they are being used porportunally. Often though the biology in our systems don't mess with stuff the way we want them too. You'll need to experiement with different products to see what works best for keeping levels consistant.

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were you dosing to raise your alk or your ph? this product is to replace regular 2 part dosing which is calc and alk and trace elements . so if your tank doesnt have consumption of those 2 , then you shouldnt be using this yet
I got it to raise alk and to keep things stable. Im not fully loaded with coral just have LPS and zoas at the moment

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for a ph boost I'd go the kalkwasser route paired with a dosing pump. Picking up a mag supplement isn't the end of the world either. I would back off the dosing and buy a mag supplement. In the beginning you don't need much more than water changes. Witch would also help your mag.
Ok I started dosing to raise alk and keep things stable but I couldn’t ever keep my ph at 8 so it was nice to see it higher since dosing. But I’ll pause it for now and just use a mag supplement and maybe try kallwasser

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Products that provide alk, calcium and magnesium are great if they are being used porportunally. Often though the biology in our systems don't mess with stuff the way we want them too. You'll need to experiement with different products to see what works best for keeping levels consistant.
Yeah I’m thinking I’ll need to play around with a few things.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know what your daily consumption is? If you just have a few lps and zoos in a 20 gallon theres a good chance that if you change out 5 gallons of water every 2 weeks you might not need to dose for a whileeeeee.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a nuvo 20 and started to dose the all for reef powder that I have to mix into a solution. Before dosing my ph would be around 7.8 and since dosing it’s up to 8.1-8.2 so I know things are working. I decided to test dkh, Mg and Ca and was surprised when my dkh was 11.3. Mg was 1280 and Ca was 480. For the ones that use this stuff, should I dose less every day to lower dkh? I still need to get my Mg up. Right now I’m only dosing 5ml a day.

Did you read the instructions for dosing TM AFR? I'm assuming you did but in any case you had a base idea of daily consumption for ALK, Ca, and MG? Basically before starting you adjust numbers to your desired numbers. Whatever that is for you. Then from there dose AFR. 5 ml per 26 US Gallons. Some say reduce by half to start lower and see how display reacts. One thing to note is that AFR ALK numbers will lag by a couple days so whatever you do - do not correct ALK immediately. It takes a few days for it to show up. There are threads here that talk about it with RHF and TM (Lou and Hans).

Anyway dose information below with their note about consumption, different rations, and the path below to follow based on readings. Side note I do not see my pH raise when dosing TM AFR and I am around 115 ML/day.

1669946912569.png

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what your daily consumption is? If you just have a few lps and zoos in a 20 gallon theres a good chance that if you change out 5 gallons of water every 2 weeks you might not need to dose for a whileeeeee.
No I haven’t tracked that yet. Things were just low and was hoping this would kinda be a fix all so I wanted to try it out

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this but haven't started yet. Tank is too new.
That said, the plan will be like said above... get all 3 majors where I want them, then start dosing for alk. Test alk only until I find the right amount of dosing per day. The other two should be close enough.

Sounds to me like you just need to back off a little on your daily dosing amount. Turn it off completely and test daily until alk is where you want it. Then start dosing again at a little lesser amount and see how it goes.

Don't worry about pH. It is what it is. High 7's is fine.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back