All for reef powder - Stir daily or weekly?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nathan O'Brien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I've been using AFR for awhile, and wondering about the small amount silt at the bottom of my dosing container.
My question is - should I be giving it a mix up / stir daily or weekly to keep everything suspended?

Or does it not matter?

Cheers

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi All

I've been using AFR for awhile, and wondering about the small amount silt at the bottom of my dosing container.
My question is - should I be giving it a mix up / stir daily or weekly to keep everything suspended?

Or does it not matter?

Cheers
Doesn't matter. You can give your dosing container a shake/spin when you refill your ATO though. I've found it makes no difference though.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Or does it not matter?

Cheers
I know you are dosing, but I keep 500 ml under the tank in a bottle, shake and manually feed daily. Easy.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

Or does it not matter?

Cheers

I mix and store 3600 ml and do not stir it. It sits under my display next to the sump. Out of sight out of mind. I dose about 85 ml/day and do not see any issues with it where it is.

Basically I'm grabbing 1800 ml rodi water, placing it on a magnetic stir, drop in the magnet pill, let it get to room temp, measure out AFR powder, gently place into beaker, turn on magnetic stir, let it do its magic for about 30 minutes or so until clear and Bob's your Uncle. I then move it to the storage container and repeat for another batch.

Tropic Marin / Lou has said in a few different places that if there is any residual it is fine or no harm. Sometimes I see a few bits or pieces but mostly it is pretty clear. I just rinse out the container before I make the next batch.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I mix and store 3600 ml and do not stir it. It sits under my display next to the sump. Out of sight out of mind. I dose about 85 ml/day and do not see any issues with it where it is.

Basically I'm grabbing 1800 ml rodi water, placing it on a magnetic stir, drop in the magnet pill, let it get to room temp, measure out AFR powder, gently place into beaker, turn on magnetic stir, let it do its magic for about 30 minutes or so until clear and Bob's your Uncle. I then move it to the storage container and repeat for another batch.

Tropic Marin / Lou has said in a few different places that if there is any residual it is fine or no harm. Sometimes I see a few bits or pieces but mostly it is pretty clear. I just rinse out the container before I make the next batch.
Yeah, I listened to this last night in fact. He also mentioned if you mix that much (near a gallon, you may also see growth in the water which isn't anything to worry about.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mix for 30 min, magnetic stirrer. 1000 ML at a time. Never re-stir. I've had a little brown color develop before. Never issues with dosing or coral.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back