All For Reef

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am thinking about dosing All for Reef, and I want to make sure I know how to do it correctly, I'm fairly certain I understand how to do it for the most part, but I just have a couple questions that I haven't seen answered online : How should I adjust my dosage when I test my at the end of the month/week and it is too high? Should I dose it in parts throughout the day? How do water changes factor into the equation with all for reef? I have a refugium that could allow me to do less water changes. When dosing all for reef, are water changes purely to remove phosphates or nitrates if needed?

Thank you in advance,
Kevin

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been dosing it since it became available here. I make adjustments every couple of weeks. Over time the amount of adjustments needed should be minor. I dose 3 times per day. Water changes should not impact AFR dosing amounts unless the salt mix parameters are drastically different than what your water is and you are changing large amounts. IMO, water changes, unless again they are a large percentage of your total volume, do not significantly impact NO3 or PO4. FYI, I have only changed a total of about 50% of my systems water in the last 6 months.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been dosing it since it became available here. I make adjustments every couple of weeks. Over time the amount of adjustments needed should be minor. I dose 3 times per day. Water changes should not impact AFR dosing amounts unless the salt mix parameters are drastically different than what your water is and you are changing large amounts. IMO, water changes, unless again they are a large percentage of your total volume, do not significantly impact NO3 or PO4. FYI, I have only changed a total of about 50% of my systems water in the last 6 months.
Okay gotcha. If my alkalinity is very close to what I want it to be constantly should I dose what tropic marin recommends?

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay gotcha. If my alkalinity is very close to what I want it to be constantly should I dose what tropic marin recommends?
Can you elaborate on that, regarding your alkalinity? Do you have a general idea of the alkalinity consumption over a day?

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Lou, from TM, would tell you that it is only a recommendation and that you should dose the amount that keeps you at your KH target. In my case I send off an ICP test every other month to see where trace elements are. So far everything has been within recommended ranges.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You mean it is close without any dosing? If so, then you will not need much at all. I’d start way lower than the recommended dose to make sure you don’t boost alk too much.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean it is close without any dosing? If so, then you will not need much at all. I’d start way lower than the recommended dose to make sure you don’t boost alk too much.
Yeah my alk is about 9.8 right now, its actually a little high as of last night. Id like around 9.0, but the tropic marin website on their all for reef page they say that you should have your tank parameters before you begin to dose.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my alk is about 9.8 right now, its actually a little high as of last night. Id like around 9.0, but the tropic marin website on their all for reef page they say that you should have your tank parameters before you begin to dose.
Yeah you will want to begin AFR when your Alk is at your target or lower.

Does your tank consume much Alk? I'm assuming you use a 2 part now?

If your tank consumes Alk very slowly or it's maintained through water changes, then AFR might not be a good solution for you. I have friends that have wanted to use it but just can't because they don't have things using up enough Alk to even start a dose.

Can you tell us how you maintain Alk now and what type of corals you keep / plan to keep?

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you will want to begin AFR when your Alk is at your target or lower.

Does your tank consume much Alk? I'm assuming you use a 2 part now?

If your tank consumes Alk very slowly or it's maintained through water changes, then AFR might not be a good solution for you. I have friends that have wanted to use it but just can't because they don't have things using up enough Alk to even start a dose.

Can you tell us how you maintain Alk now and what type of corals you keep / plan to keep?
I actually don't dose anything right now, just bi-weekly water changes. All I do is run a reactor with carbon a little GFO. Now that you say it, my coral just might not be enough load yet. I only have a couple small lps and some softies. My plan is just to keep LPS and Softies, maybe a while from now I'll keep some easy SPS.

undermind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't dose anything right now, just bi-weekly water changes. All I do is run a reactor with carbon a little GFO. Now that you say it, my coral just might not be enough load yet. I only have a couple small lps and some softies. My plan is just to keep LPS and Softies, maybe a while from now I'll keep some easy SPS.
OK gotcha. Yeah I think you're right, there is not a coral load that is indicating a need for Alkalinity replacement. If you began using AFR, you would see a creep upward in Alkalinity (and other things).

AFR is a good product, but for your tank, I think probably not needed based on your Alkalinity consumption. You could seek a trace element product but I suspect those are being replenished also with your water changes.

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out lower, then work my way up after testing once a week until I had perimetersI wanted. I just started using it 2 months ago and my corals look happier, healthier and are finally growing.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back