ALL LED ALL THE TIME! :) New Forum!

Discussion in 'LED Lighting Specific' started by revhtree, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Dan1789

Dan1789 Well-Known Member

Vivid aquariums is running half halides / half radions on there big tank. Check it out.

2. Sleeperr34

Sleeperr34 Well-Known Member

Yea. But thats all in one system. The MH will bleed some light over to the other side. I'm talking keeping no light from the other source hitting the other. And that is a little on the extreme side. Most people that get leds do a 1-1 switch so i had 3 250mh over my 6ft tank i got 3 vegas. If i remeber right that tank is 8ft long 4ft is leds. And he has 12 over one half that tank. And that is one thing i do believe but dont have the money to drop to do. I feel leds will have no prob at all if its doubled up. So a 2ft x 2ft section that most have 1 radion or 1 vega/hydra over was 2 then the hot spots and low spots and miss spectrum would be solved. Another reason im interested in people that have the 120deg lens. Because that as well would help with that.

3. takayan

takayan Well-Known Member

Are these graphs for Chlorophyll a? Or what?

4. Julleye

Julleye New Member

OMG. beautifulllllllllllllllllllllllllllll~~~~:bigsmile:

5. mbattles22

mbattles22 Well-Known Member

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question. We need some LED advice. We have AI Vegas and our SPS is growing, but the color is not anywhere near what is should be. Any advice on settings for the blue/white/red/green. Thanks!

6. ReefLEDLights

ReefLEDLights Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

The AIs are not the intensity of a 400 watt MH.

A 400 Watt MH produces more PAR than the SPS need. This causes the coral to produce pigments that reflect this extra light. Its what we want.

500 PAR towards the top to mid level tank depth is good provide proper acclimation.

Also Alk and Mag levels have been reported to affect SPS colour.

Bill

7. mbattles22

mbattles22 Well-Known Member

Can we adjust our light % to get to where we want and need to be? :squigglemouth:

8. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I think the only true way to adjust LED so they are most efficient, is to do so by using a quality PAR, PUR and LUX meter. Otherwise if your like me, it's all trial and error :) Oh and it helps to know what corals need what. Something that isn't discussed much except by the SPS community :) Knowing the depth at which our corals reside in their natural habitat is paramount when it come to providing proper lighting.
    What exactly are the differences between white light and blue light and how are they used? Isn't it the white lights that provides the "full spectrum" and if so what corals actually use it? Those closest to the waters surface?
    Oh yeah I got plenty of questions too when it comes to LED's :)

9. jzaso

jzaso Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums up everything I was going to say!!

10. jzaso

jzaso Well-Known Member

Anybody have D120 manually dimmable full "spectrum" or comparable china boxs could you post your channel intensity settings height above tank age ect,
    I have two units on a standard 90g 11" above water 80%blue-55% white("full spectrum") at month five sps tank, 10hrs blue 8 hrs white-curious to see where everybody is at and how corals are reacting

11. saltynovice378

saltynovice378 Well-Known Member

looking for help with additional lighting

Can anyone help me with a suggestion for additional lighting for my Red Sea 29 Gal? The T5's seem to work great but the blue LED's are not that strong and I find myself straining to see into my tank at night. I am not looking to remove the cover or mess with any rewiring. I was thinking of the TrueLumen LED strip for the Blue lighting? Any suggestions would be great.
    Thanks!

12. ReefLEDLights

ReefLEDLights Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

The latest Cree XT-E and XP-E2 offer better performance.

Add this to the Mean Well LDD drivers and you have a great dimmable combination.

Adding a few Cree Photo Reds or Luxion Z (660nm) to a mix is an option.

I like the look of the fiji purple and adding some deep reds have worked for us.

Some of the strip lights work well but lack intensity.

Bill

13. the new guy

the new guy Active Member

I currently have a fluval marine & reef led light on my 55 gallon tank it works great but I'd like to try to have sps in my tank and don't think that it would have the ability to support them anyone have a suggestion for a good led set up that wouldn't break the bank preferably at or under $400

14. saltyphish

saltyphish Certified Sand Groomer R2R Supporter Reef Squad

Could be a number of factors. Intensity, distance from tank, color mix, Spectrum, and yes some leds are far superior to others.

15. saltynovice378

saltynovice378 Well-Known Member

Current USA orbit marine pro

16. CastAway

CastAway Prone to wander, never lost. R2R Supporter Reef Squad

Any Orphek Atlantik users out there? Any advice on custom programming? Just hung my new fixtures a couple days ago.
    ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1434681752.593204.jpg

17. Orphek

Orphek Orphek- The world's premier LED light. R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

Looks great Jeff. Give me a call on Monday and I can help you to write a custom program that fits your work schedule.

CastAway likes this.
  18. Rsandry

Rsandry Active Member R2R Supporter

Hi all,

Just bought a new system (Red Sea Reefer series - 350) and I was looking for recommendations on lighting. I want to go with LED's and I'm looking at the Kessils and the Radions... any advice???

Thx

19. jack5746

jack5746 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% AI was around before the radions and I chose AI way better price for units, upgradable, good customer care. I think most that buy radion think because it costs more it must be better, then i watch these indivuals then complain about how bad leds are. Having said that i do believe leds are diffucult to get setup. I am using 3 sol blues on a 400 gallon system not nearly enough coverage so i added 4 58 watt t5 2 atcinic and two fiji purple. I hope to add and upgrade to the hydra52 soon. The only coral i seem to have problems with is Elegances.

20. rubin88

rubin88 Member

so wood the ai prime be good for a depht of 21 to 24 inch or should i go for hydra 26 i did want to radions xr15 pro w but what you said maybe not ...