All my euphyllia is dying

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

So... on 06/17 I went ahead and changed my rockscape to make it more conducive for coral placement. I took out some rocks out and the sand was flying all over the place.
After the move I placed all the euphyllias together and pretty much in the same level as before the rock change. (Same light/ pretty much same flow)

The next day all my euphyllias were upset. Closed up and deflated. Also a leather got upset. All the other corals were as normal.

I have 3 frogspawns and 3 hammers. Before this move they were doing amazing, even growing new heads and looking fat and puffy.

The water parameters did not changed at all (I tested daily for 2 weeks to make sure!) I waited 2 weeks and since they were not improving I decided to treat with Ciprofloxacin (500mg/100gallon) every other day for 10 days.
After dose #3 my leather opened up again. But the euphyllias are still upset and now they look like they have receding tissue on some heads.
After the cipro I did a series of 3 water changes of 20% each.

Today I did a Revive dip to see if something came off, but they were clean.

Any suggestions? Explanations? Experiences?

For reference:
AIO 45gallon
T 78
Sal 10.26
pH 8.0
KH 8.5
Ca 450
Mg 1440
NO ~10
PO 0.03-0.05

Pic 1. Now all sad
Pic 2. Before

image.jpg IMG_5873.jpeg

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything is normal then maybe the flow change could be upsetting them (doubt it but always a possibility) try a water change and see if that helps them out. Any fish/ inverts bothering them?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's too much going on. if the coral is in a bad mood, just leave it alone (unless it starts dying). But moving, dipping, and dosing just because the coral is in a bad mood makes things worse. If anything, just do a water change, then monitor, thats it.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you test for ammonia? I know some of the corals are doing OK but hammers and the like are more sensitive to ammonia spikes. Something similar happened to me a while back. I emptied my tank and super cleaned out my sand bed. I filled and the next day, I had an ammonia spike.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's no BJD or stench of rotting corals that's at least a good sign. My guess is that something you stirred up with the sand bed (or the sand itself) is a likely culprit.
No stench and no signs of BJ either... thinking about something coming from the sand is the reason I did the cipro treatment...

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything is normal then maybe the flow change could be upsetting them (doubt it but always a possibility) try a water change and see if that helps them out. Any fish/ inverts bothering them?
My silly clowns are hosting them... but they have been doing that since before they were upset... other than that no other fish or invert near them...

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you test for ammonia? I know some of the corals are doing OK but hammers and the like are more sensitive to ammonia spikes. Something similar happened to me a while back. I emptied my tank and super cleaned out my sand bed. I filled and the next day, I had an ammonia spike.
I tested. Ammonia and Nitrites are zero.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any change today?
One of the hammers is opening up more today. Like the outer part of the head has polyp extension and puffiness... the other hammer is still small and the fragspawns one of them has some polyp extension but mostly small still...
I tested my water today and everything looks stable. Also I did a water change today... will see how they do tomorrow...
thank you for asking!!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the hammers is opening up more today. Like the outer part of the head has polyp extension and puffiness... the other hammer is still small and the fragspawns one of them has some polyp extension but mostly small still...
I tested my water today and everything looks stable. Also I did a water change today... will see how they do tomorrow...
thank you for asking!!!
In the event the whole sand bed thing stressed them, I'd probably try to avoid making any major changes (or stirring things up again) for a while. Glad to hear there's been some improvement.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics are only to use for bacterial infections
Correct. I read an article on slow tissue recession caused by Vibrio and/or Arcobacter. Since what my corals were presenting was very similar as the symptoms described in the article, I decided to treat with cipro at high doses, to kill both species.

OP
OP
anabechara

anabechara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the event the whole sand bed thing stressed them, I'd probably try to avoid making any major changes (or stirring things up again) for a while. Glad to hear there's been some improvement.
Yes! I am trying to do as little as possible. Only water changes and food... hopefully they will get better...

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. I read an article on slow tissue recession caused by Vibrio and/or Arcobacter. Since what my corals were presenting was very similar as the symptoms described in the article, I decided to treat with cipro at high doses, to kill both species.
Start dosing Restor as well

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Restor as a dip or in the tank?? I have never used it before (never had to) but will look into it! Thanx!
Use it in the tank it’s good for everything, you can also use it while you do an antibiotic dip, when you make your antibiotic dip and some Restor, Chemi Clean and Iodine and mix it all up together, and before you dip your coral into that mix do a separate pre-dip of hydrogen peroxide, 3% for 10 minutes

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back