Status
Not open for further replies.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish are dead this morning, I don't know why and I am heartbroken at my loss.
Yellow tang
Lineatus wrasse
mccoskers wrasse
one spot rabbit fish
harlequin tusk fish
flame angel
coral beauty
flame hawk
All dead, everything was fine last night, nothing added in a while, all tests show normal, temp normal, salinity normal, nothing obvious on the fish, corals have no polyp extension and looking a bit dismal.
I can't think of anything else to test for, everything just seems so normal, water is clear, skimmer is skimming normally, all pumps are working fine, im at a complete loss.
Very upset at this, particularly my flame hawk, it was the only fish left from my late fathers tank.

Plunder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish are dead this morning, I don't know why and I am heartbroken at my loss.
Yellow tang
Lineatus wrasse
mccoskers wrasse
one spot rabbit fish
harlequin tusk fish
flame angel
coral beauty
flame hawk
All dead, everything was fine last night, nothing added in a while, all tests show normal, temp normal, salinity normal, nothing obvious on the fish, corals have no polyp extension and looking a bit dismal.
I can't think of anything else to test for, everything just seems so normal, water is clear, skimmer is skimming normally, all pumps are working fine, im at a complete loss.
Very upset at this, particularly my flame hawk, it was the only fish left from my late fathers tank.

Sorry to hear about your loss, that's terrible, especially your dad's fish. In the meantime, I wouldn't dwell on it. Try to figure out what happened, and just rebuild. From the darkness, you can bring back some new life.

You'll feel right as right in no time. Take care.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry for your losses, especially the Hawk, that's real rough.

I'm still new to the hobby myself, so my knowledge base is somewhat limited. However from what I know, very few things can wipe out a tank overnight.
Ammonia, lack of oxygen, certain diseases, stray voltage from equipment, and something spilling into the tank.

With no recent additions and negative tests, I'm inclined to think stray voltage.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear .... major bummer. That kind of rapid loss is unlikely to be disease. Would have to have been a significant death to trigger an ammonia spike, so that’s unlikely too. Stray voltage is one of the biggest red herrings in the hobby, so that’s not it either. Power loss in the night? Reef tank will lose oxygen levels very quickly at night, so that’s a possibility. Something spilled into the tank perhaps?

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear .... major bummer. That kind of rapid loss is unlikely to be disease. Would have to have been a significant death to trigger an ammonia spike, so that’s unlikely too. Stray voltage is one of the biggest red herrings in the hobby, so that’s not it either. Power loss in the night? Reef tank will lose oxygen levels very quickly at night, so that’s a possibility. Something spilled into the tank perhaps?
No power loss, cooker clock flashes 00:00 when there is a power cut.
Nothing spilled in tank, its all in tank cabinet.
I think its going to be a 'we will never know what happened' moment

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so sorry to here this Jackie, was this your new system your building or an established reef?

For a total loss like that it might be worth trying to investigate the cause as far as you can, but as you say you may never know

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, so sorry to here this Jackie, was this your new system your building or an established reef?

For a total loss like that it might be worth trying to investigate the cause as far as you can, but as you say you may never know
My established reef (not started the new build yet). Im trying to rack my brain as to what happened and I can't come up with anything.

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My established reef (not started the new build yet). Im trying to rack my brain as to what happened and I can't come up with anything.

Dud you or someone spray air refreshner or ant killer or spray anything ? Or have any kimd of chemical ?

My mom once sprayed ant killer 3 feet away from her 30g and on the ground not in air.. and the next day she had about 30 dead platys.

Then she sprayed air refreshner in the house because she loves her smelly crap which gives me headaches. And it killed some angel fish the next day

OP
OP
windemerejack

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dud you or someone spray air refreshner or ant killer or spray anything ? Or have any kimd of chemical ?

My mom once sprayed ant killer 3 feet away from her 30g and on the ground not in air.. and the next day she had about 30 dead platys.

Then she sprayed air refreshner in the house because she loves her smelly crap which gives me headaches. And it killed some angel fish the next day
Im very diligent on things like that, so nothing that comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 44 38.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 59 52.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back