Clown Fish vs Flame Hawk

kribbz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any suggestions for getting clown fish to leave my Flame Hawk alone? Clowns have been in the tank since the beginning. I QT'd some firefish, carpenter wrasse and the flame hawk. Added them all at the same time after QT, at night and rearranged some rocks. The clowns have left everything else alone except for that hawkfish. They chase him through the rocks all day. The funny thing is is that the clowns host a duncan in the back left of the 170 gallon tank and the hawk hides in the front right. Those clowns spend all day and night coming from their duncans, chase that hawkfish and then back to thier duncans.

Any help?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be real jerks sometimes :grinning-squinting-face:

What kind of clowns and how long has it been happening? Is the flame hawk sustaining damage?

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly not applicable advice without knowing what your tank looks like...
Maybe add or rearrange the rock work to provide more line-of-sight breaks so there are fewer angles the clowns can see the hawkfish?
Like if your rock scape is kind of open and the clowns can see the whole length of the tank, the hawk fish can never be out of sight from them - add an outcropping in the middle or on one side or something that they can't see past.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back