All my fish died

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to just be superglue. I have heard of reef poxy when used too much or over handled can effect oxygen and pH but never heard of a problem with superglue.

Did you use any coral dip on the frags? Some of those can be pretty harsh if not rinsed properly but would have probably took out the fish too.

Maybe sick fish and working in the tank gluing down frags was enough stress to push them over... idk...

OP
OP
J

JoshuaJames95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think not switching the pumps off could have caused bits of glue to come off which the fish could have eaten. I appreciate your help
Without knowing what came off the plugs it's hard to say. As with @T-J, I haven't had any fish die from glueing frag plugs either.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll also add this

we prep with fallow and qt because of what he my have dropped into the tank even if not his actual loss cause, a very sticky wet organism moved tank A to new tank B = vectors for sure. This isn’t even counting vectors from corals added, rocks, shrimp, all slower to manifest as Cell mentioned and still areas for leaking disease input that’ll get ya in February

this reef needs to be fallowed before any more fish are added. When new fish are added, use only quarantine ones, you just used up the sole non disease prep card for the tank, round two can’t re use it. It’s not possible to read this forum below then set this tank right back up with fish skipping preps:

when Jay does disease troubleshoots he looks for instances where there werent any preps and only fish died but all else lives and acts normally. As I read the title, this was a plural fish loss all at once

OP
OP
J

JoshuaJames95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to just be superglue. I have heard of reef poxy when used too much or over handled can effect oxygen and pH but never heard of a problem with superglue.

Did you use any coral dip on the frags? Some of those can be pretty harsh if not rinsed properly but would have probably took out the fish too.

Maybe sick fish and working in the tank gluing down frags was enough stress to push them over... idk...
No I havent dipped the frags, it seemed my fish were pretty happy before they died and nothing really changed in the tank for a few weeks before i added the frags. Water tests were: PH: 8.1 KH:7 Ammonia: 0.05 Nitrite: 0.025 Nitrate: 0.5 Phosphate: 0.05 Salinity: 1.026

OP
OP
J

JoshuaJames95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably coincidental that your fish died after you glued frags. If the glue was toxic your shrimps would have died too. Your fish look skinny to me in the pics so they probably had a disease and you didn't know it. Sorry about the loss of your fish.
Thanks for your reply mate. Yeah im gutted, just trying to figure out what happened so it doesnt happen again. Do you think they look skinny? what disease do you think it could of been to kill all 3 within 2 days

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply mate. Yeah im gutted, just trying to figure out what happened so it doesnt happen again. Do you think they look skinny? what disease do you think it could of been to kill all 3 within 2 days

Heavy breathing and fast deaths can be velvet.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

I cannot recall: fallow doesn’t help if it’s velvet is that correct? What’s the direct treatment for it if so, to rid the system of it.

Joshua you’d still fallow anyway since we arent getting a necropsy here and since multiple vectors are in play. Fallow will handle other common maladies that’ll get you in Feb if you restock without specific preps listed above. Identifying your disease is not as important like prepping the tank correctly will be. Tank prep is such a serious series of steps there’s an entire forum above dedicated to detailing the process. No fish for ninety days is the start…or, if you want the short fallow 45 days you’ll need to boost up the holding temps.

curious to be reminded T how we rid potential velvet from a system?

OP
OP
J

JoshuaJames95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll also add this

we prep with fallow and qt because of what he my have dropped into the tank even if not his actual loss cause, a very sticky wet organism moved tank A to new tank B = vectors for sure. This isn’t even counting vectors from corals added, rocks, shrimp, all slower to manifest as Cell mentioned and still areas for leaking disease input that’ll get ya in February

this reef needs to be fallowed before any more fish are added. When new fish are added, use only quarantine ones, you just used up the sole non disease prep card for the tank, round two can’t re use it. It’s not possible to read this forum below then set this tank right back up with fish skipping preps:

when Jay does disease troubleshoots he looks for instances where there werent any preps and only fish died but all else lives and acts normally. As I read the title, this was a plural fish loss all at once
thanks for your reply. So you suggest leaving the tank for a while before adding more fish? How long? When you say quarantining do you mean in the same tank in them boxes you have off the glass? as i only have 1 tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

I cannot recall: fallow doesn’t help if it’s velvet is that correct? What’s the direct treatment for it if so, to rid the system of it.

Joshua you’d still fallow anyway since we arent getting a necropsy here and since multiple vectors are in play. Fallow will handle other common maladies that’ll get you in Feb if you restock without specific preps listed above. Identifying your disease is not as important like prepping the tank correctly will be. Tank prep is such a serious series of steps there’s an entire forum above dedicated to detailing the process. No fish for ninety days is the start…or, if you want the short fallow 45 days you’ll need to boost up the holding temps.

curious to be reminded T how we rid potential velvet from a system?

You can fallow velvet. Actually easier than ich. Ich is the one that fallow repeatedly fails on.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your reply. So you suggest leaving the tank for a while before adding more fish? How long? When you say quarantining do you mean in the same tank in them boxes you have off the glass? as i only have 1 tank.

I would turn the heat up to 81-82 and do fishless for minimum 45 days. This will help rid the tank of any parasites as they burn their life cycle out.

OP
OP
J

JoshuaJames95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would turn the heat up to 81-82 and do fishless for minimum 45 days. This will help rid the tank of any parasites as they burn their life cycle out.
what parasites/diseases do you think it could of been. Im currently looking into marine velvet but i dont think it was that as they say it happens quite slowly. My tank looked fine and the next day they were dead

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what parasites/diseases do you think it could of been. Im currently looking into marine velvet but i dont think it was that as they say it happens quite slowly. My tank looked fine and the next day they were dead

Velvet is a fast killer. Not sure where you are reading that it is slow? The parasite cycles very fast.

OP
OP
J

JoshuaJames95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt that seachem glue was the cause of this. Did you qt your fish? Sounds like it could have been an ick or velvet outbreak that went undetected initially.
Ive looked into both of these but it seems my fish didnt have any sort of white spot or velvet coating

Attachments

• fish.jpeg
    fish.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 20

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive looked into both of these but it seems my fish didnt have any sort of white spot or velvet coating

Yes, velvet and kill without showing any spots.

I am not saying it was velvet but you asked what can kill a fish this fast. Velvet can kill fast enough to not see spots. The symptoms are heavy breathing/erratic behavior, hiding from light, or swimming into the flow. It is because it attacks the gills first. It can asphyxiate a fish before they show spots on the body.

Did all fish eat they day prior?

OP
OP
J

JoshuaJames95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough one. The surviving shrimps suggests this wasn't a water quality issue, but disease instead, however, I don't think any disease moves quite this fast. This wasn't a fish to fish transfer, but a coral added and then the fish dying in less than 24 hrs.
Thank you for your reply. My fish were seemingly happy previously they were swimming around and feeding well like normal. I added my coral frags, from which ive learnt i made a few mistakes with the amount I used and not turning off the pumps. I did notice there was stringy bits of glue that came off and were released into the tank which my fish could of potentially eaten. People are suggesting disease but from my very small amount of knowledge I feel like it isnt that as i hadnt added any new fish or corals for a few weeks, then as soon as i add this new coral, my fish die. Also to my untrained eye it doesnt look like my fish had white spot or velvet?

Attachments

• fish.jpeg
    fish.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 18

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a reef big enough for fish i too would not take time to quarantine Id just order pre qt ready fish online. 2x lighting clowns top shelf would be my goal but this jar will not be pried out of my hands there’s no large reefs for me in the future. I’m a fish spectator.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. My fish were seemingly happy previously they were swimming around and feeding well like normal. I added my coral frags, from which ive learnt i made a few mistakes with the amount I used and not turning off the pumps. I did notice there was stringy bits of glue that came off and were released into the tank which my fish could of potentially eaten. People are suggesting disease but from my very small amount of knowledge I feel like it isnt that as i hadnt added any new fish or corals for a few weeks, then as soon as i add this new coral, my fish die. Also to my untrained eye it doesnt look like my fish had white spot or velvet?

I just have never heard of superglue harming fish... little or a lot of glue. I have seen fish and shrimp try to eat it and glue their mouths shut but even then it falls off in a few days.

The thing with superglue is as soon as it hits the water... it becomes inert in it gets wet.

The glue just does not seem realistic and ALL corals and inverts are fine so wouldn't think toxin either.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a chance to review safety data sheet and see there are toxins and flammable content within this glue / Can it be the cause - yes. Was it the actual cause- I think coincidence.
What I wonder reading though is age of the tank and if youre using RODI water or tap water from the faucet. Additionally, did you acclimate fish and if you did, how and for how long ?
What test equipment are you using for salinity and for testing ammonia-nitrate- ph, etc.

With velvet which I least suspect, you would have seen signs such as:
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease. If you saw any of the above, you then have a clue as to cause.

Prior to loss, were fish eating, breathing normally, picking on glass and/or rocks?

OP
OP
J

JoshuaJames95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, velvet and kill without showing any spots.

I am not saying it was velvet but you asked what can kill a fish this fast. Velvet can kill fast enough to not see spots. The symptoms are heavy breathing/erratic behavior, hiding from light, or swimming into the flow. It is because it attacks the gills first. It can asphyxiate a fish before they show spots on the body.

Did all fish eat they day prior?

I did notice my tang which is usually quite timid swimming quite high up the tank where he doesnt usually go the night before he died. He wasnt swimming erratically but it did seem a little bit out of character. all fish were feeding fine before. Does velvet effect shrimp or coral?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back