All my Mistakes & hope this helps everyone

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mistakes I learned my first year Reefing
When I first started reefing I had hydrogen sulfide in my reef tank. I saved all but 1 fish by adding as much aeration as I could.
I had Diatoms, Cyano, hair algae, bubble algae and now only have Aptasia
How I solved hydrogen sulfide
max out all pumps
max out wave makers
add areators
turn up skimmer to make as many bubbles as you can
I read in a scholarly source that air evaporated this gas.
move the water on the top of the aquarium to create as much gas exchange without splashing
How I solved Cyano
I added more powerheads, removed filter floss, turkey basted rocks, blacked out my tank, remove sand that was covered in it, removed a fish, and what made it go away was chemiclean.
How I solved Hair Algae
Using Nopox, clean up crew included blue scarlet hermit crabs, lots of snails, my main cure was my flame angelfish ate it like candy until it was gone. Emerald crab ate this. I removed emerald crab after heat ate GSP and Zoanthids
How I solved Bubble Algae
I only saw it on frags and I would wipe it off the frags, and would remove any rock with it on it. Emerald crab did not eat it. I removed emerald crab after heat ate GSP and Zoanthids.
Mistake Dosed 300ml calcium into reef tank which raised my calcium to 800
Solved this by dosing alkalinity, and doing a water change it is now at 600. Dropping slowly.
Didn't loose anything luckily.
One acropora has a white spot. Should I leave it alone and heal?
Mistake I overstocked my reef tank 20 gallon
This caused a lot of stress with the fish. One died and I removed another because I could tell it was not happy. I am at only 2 clown fish and a bengaii cardinal fish. They look fat as a torpedo and healthy so that will be my final stocking for this tank.
Not cleaning calcium out of pumps decreased my flow
I thought it just needed to be scrubbed and go right back in.
A huge mistake I learned was listening to LFS
They sell me overpriced stuff
Get me to buy stuff I don't need
Sell me and tell me I can have fish including tangs in a 20 gallon tank. I got no money back but I donated the tang to another fish store because I listened to the guy like an idiot. The tang couldn't stop hitting the glass it was not happy.
They were immoral and lied to me about the hobby.
I only trust R2F and LiveAquaria now and few others
I hope this helps everyone!!!! Good Luck Reefing!
I wanted to share my mistakes/problems so others can learn. :)

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started reefing I had hydrogen sulfide in my reef tank. I saved all but 1 fish by adding as much aeration as I could.
max out all pumps
max out wave makers
add areators
move the water on the top of the aquarium to create as much gas exchange without splashing
How I solved Cyano
I added more powerheads, removed filter floss, turkey basted rocks, blacked out my tank, remove sand that was covered in it, removed a fish, and what made it go away was chemiclean.
How I solved Hair Algae
Using Nopox, clean up crew included blue scarlet hermit crabs, lots of snails, my main cure was my flame angelfish ate it like candy until it was gone. Emerald crab ate this. I removed emerald crab after heat ate GSP and Zoanthids
I only saw it on frags and I would wipe it off the frags, and would remove any rock with it on it. Emerald crab did not eat it. I removed emerald crab after heat ate GSP and Zoanthids.
Solved this by dosing alkalinity, and doing a water change it is now at 600. Dropping slowly.
This caused a lot of stress with the fish. One died and I removed another because I could tell it was not happy. I am at only 2 clown fish and a bengaii cardinal fish. They look fat as a torpedo and healthy so that will be my final stocking for this tank.
Sell me and tell me I can have fish including tangs in a 20 gallon tank. I got no money back but I donated the tang to another fish store because I listened to the guy like an idiot. The tang couldn't stop hitting the glass it was not happy.
Thank you for sharing and welcome to R2R!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
welcome2.gif

AllAmericanReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
max out all pumps
max out wave makers
add areators
How I solved Cyano
How I solved Hair Algae
Great read for people like me just starting out

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick hello and thanks for joining and will go back and study your carefully constructed piece ....

thanks you
max out all pumps
max out wave makers
add areators
How I solved Cyano
How I solved Hair Algae
Thank you Dav for this and overlaid with other posts today about contradictions and mixed messages it makes it all the more apparent to folks who have suffered through all of these and learned and have "moved on" need to also learn to listen to the newer members to understand where the really are and what they really need before spewing there wisdom.... i.e., I have great success with emeralds (females only) and I know other don't, to the context of well meaning advice needs to be carefully considered.. best of luck moving forward

Attachments

• 100.gif
    100.gif
    396.4 KB · Views: 27
Back