All the hermits belly up

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all, seeking some experienced guidance, 1st shift tank inspection I found all 3 of my blue leg hermits had died, bodies still in shells. What could have caused this?
Tank-20 gallon long frag, been runnning about 2 months, fully nitrite/nitrate cycled.
Nyos salt, dosing a teeny tiny bit of reef blueprint bacteria daily. Maybe 50 corals, 2 chromis(been in there maybe a month). 20 percent water change every 5 days or so. All parameters within agreed upon specs. I feed plenty, wide variety of foods, nyos goji pellets, DKI pellets(fish love that stuff btw), piscene flakes, dried mysis, frozen mysis.

Only new addition was a couple tablespoons of brs rox carbon.

Any thoughts on what would kill all 3 at once greatly appreciated. Thank you

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't specifically state it, but is there a chance copper or more specifically copper sulfate got into the system somehow? That's known to kill inverts (including hermits) and leave everything else alone... If I had money to put down it would be something like that

OP
OP
B

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't specifically state it, but is there a chance copper or more specifically copper sulfate got into the system somehow? That's known to kill inverts (including hermits) and leave everything else alone... If I had money to put down it would be something like that
Thank you, in what ways would that get in? I’m unfamiliar and don’t have a copper test

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not. I’m at 1.026. They’ve been in there a good month
Usually they would die a lot sooner than that if theres a big change in salinity so i'm not sure what the cause could be since you mentioned the food supply is adequate

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back