ALL VETERANS in the reefing community

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started in 98. I'm a diver and underwater photographer (amateur) and love everything about reefs - tropical and cold. Some of the most beautiful reefs are off the coast of BC! (I don't cold water dive anymore)

Favorite thing about reef tanks for me is watching symbiotic relationships such as a cleaner shrimp setting up shop and fish coming by for a clean. Also clams. :)

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started in 98. I'm a diver and underwater photographer (amateur) and love everything about reefs - tropical and cold. Some of the most beautiful reefs are off the coast of BC! (I don't cold water dive anymore)

Favorite thing about reef tanks for me is watching symbiotic relationships such as a cleaner shrimp setting up shop and fish coming by for a clean. Also clams. :)
Yes I love the symbiotic relationships as well! Do you have any favorite photos?

kutcha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol thought this was a military vet post as well, but i have been in the reefing hobby since 2012 wouldnt consider myself a expert but i have learned alot though the years on things to do and not to do lol. Always think of yourself as a student of the hobby, that way you never close your mind on new and possibly better ways to improve this wonderful hobby we have.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing this on and off for the better part of 20 years, and am in no way a jedi master. Still just a young padawan learning the tools of the trade.

Us "older" guys are very opinionated and stuck in our ways, not sure were the best ones to follow. lol You will often times find us arguing over semantics in the forums.

I like the science behind the whole thing. Science as a youngin really interested me, and although I never went into the science field as an adult, I find the science behind keeping a reef tank to be very fascinating.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I love the symbiotic relationships as well! Do you have any favorite photos?
Only a couple on my phone. :)
Love shrimps: anemone, pistol and cleaners. Even an eel needs it's teeth cleaned! (Tiny shrimp to left of jaw)

*Not pics of my tank! These were taken in Indonesia. :)

Screenshot_20210204-005627.png Screenshot_20210204-005942.png Screenshot_20210204-005702.png

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that you've got youtube videos as well! I will subscribe Do you ever thin out your corals to sell?
Nope, I never get anything exotic enough for anybody to want and don't want to be blamed for anybody else's pest. Just enjoy the process and if one day I grow coral actually big enough to prune I'd probably just give that away. Only time I've sold coral were tank break downs.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol thought this was a military vet post as well, but i have been in the reefing hobby since 2012 wouldnt consider myself a expert but i have learned alot though the years on things to do and not to do lol. Always think of yourself as a student of the hobby, that way you never close your mind on new and possibly better ways to improve this wonderful hobby we have.
Thats great advice

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing this on and off for the better part of 20 years, and am in no way a jedi master. Still just a young padawan learning the tools of the trade.

Us "older" guys are very opinionated and stuck in our ways, not sure were the best ones to follow. lol You will often times find us arguing over semantics in the forums.

I like the science behind the whole thing. Science as a youngin really interested me, and although I never went into the science field as an adult, I find the science behind keeping a reef tank to be very fascinating.
Hey if something works for someone than it works. I'm a science nerd too

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I never get anything exotic enough for anybody to want and don't want to be blamed for anybody else's pest. Just enjoy the process and if one day I grow coral actually big enough to prune I'd probably just give that away. Only time I've sold coral were tank break downs.
Well thats very thoughtful. I have definitely been done wrong by some people in the hobby selling half dead corals filled up with vermetid snails. Everyone is about $ these days

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a couple on my phone. :)
Love shrimps: anemone, pistol and cleaners. Even an eel needs it's teeth cleaned! (Tiny shrimp to left of jaw)

*Not pics of my tank! These were taken in Indonesia. :)

Screenshot_20210204-005627.png Screenshot_20210204-005942.png Screenshot_20210204-005702.png
Thats a beautiful shrimp and photo!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 years in the reefing hobby, probably 40 in freshwater. 30 years in professional fisheries/aquaculture.

Don't follow me unless you want history lessons....back in the day...

I'm not an expert, but know a thing or two.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 years in the reefing hobby, probably 40 in freshwater. 30 years in professional fisheries/aquaculture.

Don't follow me unless you want history lessons....back in the day...

I'm not an expert, but know a thing or two.
I'll take a history lesson anytime lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping reef tanks since 1987 ..... which means I have experience. Whether experience translates to expertise is less clear. I tend to go with a combination of Forrest Gump ('expertise is as expertise does') and legendary British reefer David Saxby ('ask to see somebody's tank before taking their advice'). Both seem wise LOL.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping reef tanks since 1987 ..... which means I have experience. Whether experience translates to expertise is less clear. I tend to go with a combination of Forrest Gump ('expertise is as expertise does') and legendary British reefer David Saxby ('ask to see somebody's tank before taking their advice'). Both seem wise LOL.
Yes true lol

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started saltwater in the very early 80's, first homebuilt reef in late 1984/early '85 and freshwater going back to 1970 (or thereabouts).

I keep a small system (could you tell by the username? ;)) since I enjoy the 'up close and personal' experience.

I prefer very simple systems :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back