All Your Favorite Nano Gear

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m pretty excited about my new nano but it’s been a while for me since I’ve kept one. I thought it would be a good idea for us to list all of our favorite nano equipment!

So what’s you’re favorite nano gear?

1AB017EF-3EE9-46E9-AA27-9A77A8D6DB0D.jpeg

#nano #nanoreef

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the mp10 but the newer Nero 3 is pretty amazing and very cost efficient when it comes to nano tanks.

also love these Kamoer dosing pumps since they are so small and require no controller so very easy to dose kalk or maybe all for reef which I think works great for nanos.
084D47C0-DB05-43B7-A0E7-14FEC46ED232.jpeg

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 ATO! It doesn't matter that the tank is small. I picked up a used Tunze nano ATO for a great deal and my life immediately became easier.

Other equipment that i am using that I can speak positively about:

Nero 3 is a great recent addition to nano equipment. Small, sleek, good price range, and good flow range. I really enjoy mine and how it blends into the back wall.

With that, the AI Prime 16HD is a very popular nano light. I am getting usable ranges of 260 - 60 in my tank. I don't have any rock directly under the light so I do sacrifice some of that higher par. Not the most powerful, but sleek, easy to use, and not insane priced. Bonus that the flow and light are on the same app!

Cobalt Neo Therm heater does a fantastic job of keeping my temperature stable while being a small form factor.

Upgrade that return! I replaced my stock with a Sicce 0.5 and it is a hair quieter and more flow. Worth!

Long tongs. I can reach the bottom of my tank with tongs and never put my fingers in the tank!

Other other:

Media Baskets to replace those socks! InTank is the one everyone talks about, and for a good reason. I decided to go with a Kraken media cup insert rather than the larger InTank tray. It doesn't require me to cut out my sock area and much smaller / cheaper. It comes tomorrow so I will give an actual review after some time. I hate socks...

Lids! DIY, ClearView, Kraken. Etc

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the mp10 but the newer Nero 3 is pretty amazing and very cost efficient when it comes to nano tanks.

also love these Kamoer dosing pumps since they are so small and require no controller so very easy to dose kalk or maybe all for reef which I think works great for nanos.
084D47C0-DB05-43B7-A0E7-14FEC46ED232.jpeg
I also love this doser. I use it on my main tank, though! Easy to use for sure!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am growing a Mangrove in mine. I have 3 fish in and 2 mangroves. I feed once a day. I have 3 water changes in 6 months and the trees are growing. I will soon be using the Neat Aquatics trap door to hold the mangrove in the middle of the tank. Other than filter floss, the only pieces of equipment are the return pump, heater, and a coouple of small cheap powerheads. The Tunze ATO for nanos is a piece of junk. It stops auto filling and I have to unplug it a few times in order to get it to work.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks and keep the gear lists coming!!

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first nano. JBJ 45 AIO. I love the intank media basket. Using floss rather than the socks and brightwell media. Love it. Nero 3 is great. I agree with the other post with inkbird. Using my inkbird until I am ready to transfer over my apex gear. As stated above ATO is a must. Can't wait to get my Neptune ATK moved over and stop having to top off by hand.

Mooneyhan22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with others regarding the intank media baskets and Nero 3. I also like the aquaticlife 115 skimmer. Once it is tuned in it works great.

Marlyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 3 added. Kraken media cup replaced the filter sock. Kraken lid. Hanna UL Phosphate checker. Sicce Synchra Silent 1.0 replaced stock pump. Kessil light (gotta love that shimmer).

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using any of the InTank baskets if they make one for the tank you have (just AIO’s I believe) On that point I also prefer using AIO’s for Nanos.....
I have a Biocube 32 right now with the heater (Cobalt Neotherm) in the 1st chamber... followed by the 2 baskets from InTank in the 2nd chamber with: Basket 1- Filter Floss, Purigen, Chemipure Elite. Basket 2- It houses a bag of Biomax or similar so I have it available for an instant cycle if I need to set up a hospital tank or qt or something....

I use an Mj1200 for the return pump in the 3rd chamber (NOT the Chinese made one)

Inside the tank: FLOW: I have the upgraded nozzle (slip fit adapter to 1/2” RFG nozzle)
I use 2 aquamai KPS powerheads... I like the options on these that are available for flow and I also like the size of them...

ATO/AWC- I use the Autoaqua AWC.... it can do water changes plus will also do the ATO’s it’s small size is great for this tank and it does the job great (no fails or anything yet ) I purchased 3 perfectly sized containers (food grade/reef safe) from Amazon they are taller and thinner so they can hide behind the stand for the most part...

Lighting- I upgraded to Steve’s LED’s and they work fantastic... the stock lights are ok if you don’t want to grow SPS or anything that needs decent light (especially on the sand bed or lower down) It can be done but it’s just ALOT easier with the upgrade and you have more options of what you can keep and where you can put it in the tank.

I think that’s about it for my “equipment” for my nano tanks.... I don’t feel the need to try and grow Macro algae or use things like a skimmer in a nano tank because as long as you are doing water changes (at least every 2 weeks or so depending on stock) Then those things are not really necessary. I probably forgot something but for the most part that’s it! Lol

FrancineJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like using any of the InTank baskets if they make one for the tank you have (just AIO’s I believe) On that point I also prefer using AIO’s for Nanos.....
I have a Biocube 32 right now with the heater (Cobalt Neotherm) in the 1st chamber... followed by the 2 baskets from InTank in the 2nd chamber with: Basket 1- Filter Floss, Purigen, Chemipure Elite. Basket 2- It houses a bag of Biomax or similar so I have it available for an instant cycle if I need to set up a hospital tank or qt or something....

I use an Mj1200 for the return pump in the 3rd chamber (NOT the Chinese made one)

Inside the tank: FLOW: I have the upgraded nozzle (slip fit adapter to 1/2” RFG nozzle)
I use 2 aquamai KPS powerheads... I like the options on these that are available for flow and I also like the size of them...

ATO/AWC- I use the Autoaqua AWC.... it can do water changes plus will also do the ATO’s it’s small size is great for this tank and it does the job great (no fails or anything yet ) I purchased 3 perfectly sized containers (food grade/reef safe) from Amazon they are taller and thinner so they can hide behind the stand for the most part...

Lighting- I upgraded to Steve’s LED’s and they work fantastic... the stock lights are ok if you don’t want to grow SPS or anything that needs decent light (especially on the sand bed or lower down) It can be done but it’s just ALOT easier with the upgrade and you have more options of what you can keep and where you can put it in the tank.

I think that’s about it for my “equipment” for my nano tanks.... I don’t feel the need to try and grow Macro algae or use things like a skimmer in a nano tank because as long as you are doing water changes (at least every 2 weeks or so depending on stock) Then those things are not really necessary. I probably forgot something but for the most part that’s it! Lol
Oh I forgot I also love my Salinity pen... makes life so much easier.... either the Hanna or Poseidon
Also... for feeding frozen foods I love love love my 3D printed cups from BRS... they are 2 cups that fit inside one another... the inside one has small holes in it... you put your cubes into them and the water drains out and down to the bottom cup where you can toss it down the sink instead of your tank... then you just dump the contents of the other cup (which is everything BUT the water) into your tank for feeding time! (Hint- I take out my frozen food the night before and put my cubes into the cups and then the cups into the fridge - they are small- That way in the am they are already thawed and ready for me to use!)

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Primes 16 HD, In Tank media basket, Nero 3's!!!! And love the Hanna Salinity/temp pen!
Since my tank is an IM I also run the IM Mid-size skimmer & UV. And the IM ATO.
In Tank filter floss, chemi blue sometimes carbon or phosguard.
Have an Inkbird but can't figure out how to set it up.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12g AIO Cube-ish:

1. Sicce Silent 1.0 (251 gph) return pump
2. Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector
3. Ebo-Jager heater (50W?)
4. Analog thermometer
5. DIY LED array (29 emitters, wide coverage) w/diffuser
6. (2) Pet Bottle ATOs (good for ~5-7 days depending on evaporation)

And that's it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back