Almost a disaster dosing phosphate

swallace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a quick sanity check please.

So my first mistake and my tank is only 5 months old, thankfully there are no corals in it yet. However, in prep for corals and because my nitrates and phosphates were low N: 1.3 and falling same with my P: 0.02, I decided to start dosing nitrates and phosphates, especially as I started to see Dino in the tank.

Well long story short I used Trisodium Phosphate and used the Planted Tank Aquarium calculator, but somewhere in my head I thought I needed to convert from ppM to ppB so as an end result for the last two days I have been dosing 0.25ppm into my tank instead of the intended 0.02 :grimacing-face:. I just checked and my phosphates are around 0.4 so its being consumed.

I dont think I am going to hurt anything in the tank and my plan is to stop until I get under .1 then pick back up dosing the right amount.

Can someone confirm that I shouldn't be worried and that my plan is fine?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals but I do have 4 fish.I’m not entirely sure if that level of phosphate is bad for fish or potentially just coral.
It seems only certain sps coral are fussy about low PO4.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re good, just get it back on track. If SPS would have been in there for sure you would have had major issues with a swing that high.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ones aren’t?
That’s a good point. My comment needs clarification, A limited number of coral species were actually tested (that I am aware of) but the effect is assumed for all. There is doubt about this assumption because there are reefers aquaria water with high PO4, several tenths of a ppm, that grow large beautiful coral.

I think we generally err on the side of caution in this hobby and just shoot for low PO4 for everything.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point. My comment needs clarification, A limited number of coral species were actually tested (that I am aware of) but the effect is assumed for all. There is doubt about this assumption because there are reefers aquaria water with high PO4, several tenths of a ppm, that grow large beautiful coral.

I think we generally err on the side of caution in this hobby and just shoot for low PO4 for everything.

I err on the side of higher PO4. Not crazy high, but not .02- .03 ppm low either. I like .08 - .15 ppm. I’ve literally had Acro’s check out in .03 ppm PO4. It’s always in a new system when that happens. It would have went differently in a 3 yr old system. Sometimes, even in a mature system if you push them with too much light and they’re sitting in .01-.02 they will outgrow their resources and start to STN or check out. I’ve also had frags come from well established ULN systems barely surviving in residual’s and if the PO4 swings 0.1 ppm or more…some will check out, but others won’t blink. This hobby is very interesting and it’s extremely difficult to pinpoint certainty, because every system is different.

BTW, if you YouTube Rico’s Aquariums and go back in his videos to some of his first ones you’ll see a good example of a very low nutrient tank where the corals were living on residual’s from fish poop. They were doing ok, because the tank was so established.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I err on the side of higher PO4. Not crazy high, but not .02- .03 ppm low either. I like .08 - .15 ppm. I’ve literally had Acro’s check out in .03 ppm PO4. It’s always in a new system when that happens. It would have went differently in a 3 yr old system. Sometimes, even in a mature system if you push them with too much light and they’re sitting in .01-.02 they will outgrow their resources and start to STN or check out. I’ve also had frags come from well established ULN systems barely surviving in residual’s and if the PO4 swings 0.1 ppm or more…some will check out, but others won’t blink. This hobby is very interesting and it’s extremely difficult to pinpoint certainty, because every system is different.

BTW, if you YouTube Rico’s Aquariums and go back in his videos to some of his first ones you’ll see a good example of a very low nutrient tank where the corals were living on residual’s from fish poop. They were doing ok, because the tank was so established.
I think your observations about New v Old systems is an important one. I wonder if commercial coral growers would agree?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your observations about New v Old systems is an important one. I wonder if commercial coral growers would agree?

Not sure, but I’d be interested to listen to the opinions of any coral farmer’s.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Richard Ross has great corals at 1.24 ppm phosphate:

1658938252250.jpeg

Kniezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, i just wanted to share my experience with a PO4 disaster.
I run a 20g cube with a few LPS and a encrusting Monti, which i have set up 15 months ago, since a while i have been dealing with PO4 bottoming out on me.
I started dosing DSR PO4+ to prevent my nitrates from rising to much, all seemed to work well. To make my life easier i purchased a single wifi dosing pump, calibrated it and set up the dosage, once i was finished setting it up i pressed ON.

Turns out that was the biggest mistake until now in my reefing 'career'.
As i pressed ON, the pump didn't start the program but it just started pumping. Before i got aware of that, the whole bottle was EMPTY! That means i just dosed +-150ml in my 20g tank, resulting in a (calculated) level of 25ppm of PO4!

I did several 50% waterchanges that night, and dosed Lanthanum Chloride the next morning after i drove to the other side of the country to get it.

Luckily i managed to get the PO4 level back down to 0,1ppm within 24 hours.

It is now 2 weeks later and the corals all have survived, my Zoa's even got a little bit more color.

I think i got really lucky there! Did anybody else have such a mistake happen to them?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back