Alpheus Armatus. Anemone shrimp? I wondered why my pistol shrimp was so surly.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tiny, maybe 10 mm pistol shrimp 3 years ago. I've only seen it in entirety 3 times since I bought him. At most I could only see one pincher and his antennae sticking out of his cave.

He is up to almost three inches now. He also kept rejecting gobies. I hoped that he wanted a bigger pal. So I bought a larger pink spotted watchman yesterday. Again he rejects the goby by chasing him out of his den. But I got to see him and properly identify him. (Picture is not mine)

1000005064.jpg

I did not know that there were anemone shrimp. Now that I do know that and apparently own one can you buy one of these curly nems? I've never seen one in the hobby.
1000005065.jpg

If they are available. The shrimp is 3 years old. How much longer will he live?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only places that I've seen list them for sale also list them as out of stock. You may be able to special order one from KP Aquatics, Dr. Reef, or Marine Collectors though.

Fapman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought a tiny, maybe 10 mm pistol shrimp 3 years ago. I've only seen it in entirety 3 times since I bought him. At most I could only see one pincher and his antennae sticking out of his cave.

He is up to almost three inches now. He also kept rejecting gobies. I hoped that he wanted a bigger pal. So I bought a larger pink spotted watchman yesterday. Again he rejects the goby by chasing him out of his den. But I got to see him and properly identify him. (Picture is not mine)

1000005064.jpg

I did not know that there were anemone shrimp. Now that I do know that and apparently own one can you buy one of these curly nems? I've never seen one in the hobby.
1000005065.jpg

If they are available. The shrimp is 3 years old. How much longer will he live?
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/257938-alpheus-armatus-and-yasha-goby/ Check this thread someone states they dont pair with gobies but instead pair with the curly cue anem

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/257938-alpheus-armatus-and-yasha-goby/ Check this thread someone states they dont pair with gobies but instead pair with the curly cue anem
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. Three years of "Why won't this shrimp pair?"

He's pretty. He's extremely territorial. He stacks snail bodies like firewood. He's stole a couple.pieces of coral throughout his life.

After I found the curlyque nems I decided, it's a big aptasia and I will do without. Would be cool though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back