Already dose Acropower. Can I dose Coral Amino too?

Travis Alderman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All.

Been dosing Acropower and the corals seem to love it. However, I was watching a BRS video on amino acids and they said all the "players" in the aquarium trade use Coral Amino by Brightwell.

Can I dose both? Or is that putting too much aiminos in the water at once.

I also use Ecoback Plus biopellets as well in my 125 gallon mixed reef.

I've heard bad things about aminos and carbon dosing when it comes to bacteria.

Thanks in advance!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by bad things about aminos and carbon dosing, but bacteria may consume the aminos, whether you are carbon dosing or not. Aminos are a way of carbon dosing.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of Brightwell products as many are poorly designed
Sorry to steal the thread a bit but im thinking of using Brightwell products for my new tank, can you explain a bit more what you mean by badly designed please, I don't want to waste money on stuff which is no good.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid Kalk+2. It will not usefully add magnesium. There are some others that I have issues with, but I do not recall the full list (I have some threads listing them). Which do you want to use?

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid Kalk+2. It will not usefully add magnesium. There are some others that I have issues with, but I do not recall the full list (I have some threads listing them). Which do you want to use?
ive got the red sea colours and foundations and nopox but ive had issues with red sea so will not use their products but ive already bought them so I need to use them first but I was looking at the equivalent of red sea stuff by Brightwells

OP
OP
T

Travis Alderman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by bad things about aminos and carbon dosing, but bacteria may consume the aminos, whether you are carbon dosing or not. Aminos are a way of carbon dosing.
Hey Randy. Thanks for your reply. What i mean is that aminos can feed bad bacteria as well. I don't want to turn gluttony with aminos into coral death.

bubbasguppies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm intrigued as well. I planned on getting Hypercoral+, but I just bought a small bottle of Coralamino as it used by WWC and highly recommend by others. I've been using the RedSea Coral Nutrition.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please elaborate on this.
Amino acids are organic molecules and their metabolism can provide energy for organisms just as vinegar, ethanol, or commercial concoctions can. It likely wouldn’t reduce nitrate since it contains a lot of N, but it will support growth and a bit of phosphate reduction.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy. Thanks for your reply. What i mean is that aminos can feed bad bacteria as well. I don't want to turn gluttony with aminos into coral death.

It is certainly possible that any type of organic dosing can support the growth of bacteria that you may not want for one reason or another (such as being unsightly, etc.)

darkcurrent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of Brightwell products as many are poorly designed, but you can use all the amino acid products you want as long as the tank responds positively.
Is there such a thing as overusing when it comes to Amino acids? What should one watch for?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there such a thing as overusing when it comes to Amino acids? What should one watch for?

Excessively high nitrate or algae. Bacterial bloom clouding the water.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back